Saturday, February 05, 2005

Dragonslayer: A poem by Bilbo

Let me begin by saying I can't believe I wrote this poem. I don't read poems for the most part and have trouble concentrating when I do try to read poems unless it is in the form of musical lyrics....This is the first poem I can remember writing since I wrote one of those Japanese poems back in gradeschool. If you do read this poem please be gracious, otherwise I may not write another poem for 30 years!....

Dragonslayer, dragonslayer, where have you gone?
Dragonslayer,dragonslayer, please don't leave me alone.
Dragonslayer, dragonslayer, tell me your'e not a myth,
Dragonslayer, dragonslayer, your'e the one I want to be with.
Dragonslayer, dragonslayer I've looked for you high and lo,
Dragonslayer, dragonslayer where did you go?
Dragonslayer, dragonslayer please come out to play,
Dragonslayer, dragonslayer, I need you today.
Dragonslayer, dragonslayer, why do you not answer my pleas?
Dragonslayer, dragonslayer please say something to me?

The Dragonslayer Speaks

Listen to me now and take courage my friend,
The dragons you face will not result in your end.
Dragons can be freighting but don't feel ashamed
Be encouraged because they can be tamed.
Now here's a litte secret you need to know,
Dragonslayers cannot deliver a death blow.
Because....Dragons never completely die,
And that's the truth and not a lie.
So don't worry about killing the foul mouthed beast,
Do what you can and than make yourself a feast.
And always remember till the end of your days,
Love and the Dragonslayer are never far away.


2 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

Hi Bilbo.

I won't engage in any heavy-duty literary deconstruction or psycholinguistic analysis here. It doesn't seem like your writer's ego is quite ready to handle such rigorous treatment. :o) So I will just offer you some encouragement and appreciation for your guts to post an actual poem to your blog. I've been doing the blogging thing for quite awhile, like close to two years now, and I don't think I ever got up the nerve to post a poem. So good for you!

And I did genuinely enjoy reading it too.

Bilbo said...

I appreciate you holding back on "engaging in any heavy duty literary deconstruction or psycholinguistic analysis". Lord knows I have engaged in enough deconstruction/psychoanalysis of myself to last a lifetime or two. Appreciate the encouragement but not sure it has much to do with having any guts. Felt compelled to write it and don't have too many outlets here locally at the present time and figured the folks in cyberspace would appreciate it more than my colleagues or some of my friends who already probably think I have a screw or two loose.....