Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I just wanted to publicly congradulate the Oregon State Beaver baseball team. ALthough I didn't graduate from OSU I did live and attend college in Corvallis for three years back in the 1980's. What this baseball team accomplished this year in the college World Series was amazing. They faced elimination seven times and won all seven elimination games. I don't know college baseball statistics or folklore but suspect that amazing feat at least tied or broke some kind of record. Very satisfying to see the Beavers win the big one and while it doesn't completely make up for all the football routs I had to endure while sitting in the rain back in the 1980's it is gratifying to see the Beavers win a championship...so...I tip my hat and give a big congrats to the Beavers of Oregon State.....

2 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

Did you see how the Beavers won that deciding game? The second baseman for North Carolina muffed a routine grounder, throwing wide of first base, in the 8th inning, allowing the winning run to score. He also struck out to lead off the 9th, missing his chance to redeem himself. I watched the end of that game - felt kind of bad for the guy who has to wear a pair of scapegoat horns for the rest of his baseball life... But it's cool to see a team from the Pacific Northwest win a title that is seemingly reserved for universities from the Sun Belt. Even cooler to discover that you have a personal connection to Oregon State (or at least their neighborhood.) And who can't help but love a team whose mascot is the Beavers, one of the cutest animals on God's green earth!

Bilbo said...

Actually Dave, I didn't see it, but did read about it. I was visiting my mom when the game was played and lets just say watching baseball is not something my mom or aunt watches. I make a real sacrifice when I visit my mom because I don't watch anything I would normally watch at home. I just sit around listening to classic country music on Sirius Satellite and watch Bonanza and other TV Land reruns. I do get out in the morning and ride my bike and get quite a bit of reading done which makes the trip enjoyable since I am generally pre-ocuppied here at home....