Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Scourge of the Earth

Question....Where can you go to find the scourge of the earth?.....A place where scoundrels, outcasts, the disenfranchised, and the chemical, psychological, and the sociological imbalanced can all be found congregating together in one place? The Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire of course!.....Just got back from the Faire last night. Not much to report. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves. Had a pretty good time overall. I’ve been to a number of these events over the years so the newess and strangeness of it all has pretty much worn off. The first time I attended one of these events I was pretty much in awe of all the strange surroundings and odd, if not bizarre behavior and dress of many of the good folks who attend these sort of gatherings. Apparently a lot of folks who dress up and go to these events are regulars at the other Renaissance Faires around the state. Personally I don’t know anyone who is really into the lifestyle aspects of Renaissance Faire culture but I think it would be interesting to just sit down and talk to some of the folks who spend a lot of time, energy and money on “living in the past” according to the motto of eat, drink, and be merry. I suspect there is something these people may have in common that draws them to these sort of gatherings. Personally I find it refreshing and therapeutic in a way to leave and get away from the Wal-mart, concrete jungle, politically, psychologically, and sociologically correct culture that marks so much of the middle class lifestyle of America. These people who run and attend these events often act and certainly dress in ways that are spontaneous and sometimes even border on the outrageous, but they appear to be enjoying themselves and perhaps even venting a bit of midlife, stuck in the mud, Monday through Friday, steam, to boot…. I enjoy going to these events every once in awhile but would not consider myself a hardcore groupie type, not that there is any virtue in playing it safe by keeping my distance from my apparent and hopefully temporarily deranged brethren. I don’t even dress up at these events and seriously doubt my sons would go with me if I did. There at that age where they constantly remind me when they feel embarrassed by something I do, say, or the way I dress, if you know what I mean…. Oh well…..Perhaps they keep me from going over the edge. More than one friend thinks I am living on the edge of the abyss so perhaps my sons active self consciousness behavior keeps their old man from entering a literal twilight zone existence….Maybe…Doubt it….But one of these days I may just put all middle class self conscious awareness aside and dress up and join the scoundrels, for at least a week-end or two, and see how it feels to live without scruples and middle class self awareness and etiquette. I bet it would be a hoot…….Oh, I almost forgot……Long live the Queen….Long live the Queen…..

No comments: