Thursday, May 05, 2005

Renaissance Faire

Tomorrow night I will be heading out of town for the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire which I will attend with my two sons and girlfriend on Saturday. Hope to take lots of pictures and will probably come back with a dragon, unicorn, or some other mythological creature trinket. The Southern California Renaissance Faire is one of the largest in the nation and look forward to seeing a lot of folks dressed up in costume. I always look forward to the Jousts which are a probably the most popular event of the Faire even though everyone knows it is just fun and games. Over the years the Renaissance Fairs have become rather commercial and there is a lot of price gauging going on but it is still a lot of fun to see a lot of unique items on display and a lot of strange looking people walking around with giant Turkey drum sticks and cups of beer. A lot of the women are dressed rather provocative but since the weather this year is predicted to be much cooler than normal than perhaps they will leave the bare minimum outfits at home this year. Not that I am overly concerned but the skimpy leather clad ladies who normally attend these events do distort the reality of how the vast majority of women of the Renaissance actually dressed..... So it’s off to fantasy land for the weekend where dragons, knights in armor, and colorful outfits rule but I will be back with hopefully a bucket load of pictures and a story to tell and if I am lucky I will bring back a fire breathing dragon or a Gnome to put in my back yard….and just maybe.....the Holy Grail......

1 comment:

David Blakeslee said...

My family has done the Ren Fair thing a few times over the years, but we go there dressed as 21st century suburbanites. I know all about the turkey-legs-and-beer thing. We still have a few kid-friendly swords and shields laying around the house here and there. It would be a lot of fun to accompany you to one of these events! I look forward to seeing a fresh batch of pics.