Friday, March 25, 2005

Ponderings from Death Valley

Just got back from Death Valley last night. Had a wonderful time with my girlfriend Lynn. Flowers everywhere and the weather was spectacular. Not a day over 80 which is a miracle for this time of the year and even got a little rain and snow in the mountains surrounding Death Valley. Not really much to say. I think the pictures speak for themselves. Am in a bit of culture shock at the moment. Really hit me big time when we spent the night in Vegas. Going to Vegas is like going to another planet. Spent the evening walking around the strip and than crashed. Left the next morning...as quickly as possible. Am really getting to hate that place. Can't stand more than a couple of hours there....back to Death Valley.....It's really hard to put into words what Death Valley is like. Very different than the vast majority of scenic wonderlands. Veryfew signs of civilization or life for that matter anywhere. Not even telephone lines. Just alot of rock, dirt, mountains, and very few plants, except for the abundance of flowers this year. Rocks and dirt may not sound too appealing but there is a beauty in the way it is all arranged here. It’s very peaceful and quiet here.....and surreal.....But wonder to myself?.....Perhaps it feels surreal because I am constantly surrounded by noise, people in a hurry, and things to do....Life in Death Valley represents a "black hole" on this planet.... There doesn't appear to be any rhyme of reason to this place.....It just is.....It’s amazing how anything survives out there and yet life appears is everywhere for those who take the time to look for it. life is simple here. The sun rises, the ground heats up, and up, and up, and anything alive that can walk heads for shade. I feel sorry for the plants...Don't know how they survive. Gives new perspective on how God takes care of us all…Shadows move across the landscape and a few clouds appear out of now where. Makes me wonder what God had in mind when he created this place. Mystery abounds here like no other place I can think of.... Death Valley is a paradox....How can a place of such great beauty and peace be called Death Valley?...Wonder if future generations will change the name of the place after the settlers who tried to cross this valley back in the 1800's and died are long forgotten....This is one of the few places where you can actually hear your heartbeat and carry on a conversation with yourself uninterrupted for the most part.....and....if you are real still....and quiet....you might just hear your own soul and the voice of your maker speaking to you..... I guess in the end visiting a place like Death Valley reminds us of things we have probably forgotten or lost touch with regarding ourselves, our world, and God. We all need to be reminded from time to time who we are and our place within this tiny planet we call home which makes visiting a place like Death Valley worth it.

2 comments:

barbara said...

Hi Bill,

Fantastic blog! I got here from julieunplugged. I know of her through various avenues. Great lady! I had to laugh when I read this post. I moved here to Las Vegas 3 years ago from Cincinnati, OH and I think my mantra for the first 2 1/2 years was "I hate Las Vegas!" lol I am just now finding some peace about this place. It helps that I live near Red Rock Canyon and that I do NOT appear on the strip at any time other than when friends come in here from out of town and HAVE to go down there. We are heading out to Death Valley this Sunday to see the spectacular show of wildflowers. We haven't been there yet. I also have yet to get to the Grand Canyon which is how my husband got my out here in the first place. I have been through your neck of the woods more than a few times though on our way to Riverside and Anaheim. Why in the world would I go there you may ask? My youngest son plays ice hockey and most of his games are in California. That's why I have yet to be to the places I really want to lol.

I loved the line in the post "...and ...if you are real still...and quiet...you just might hear your own soul and the voice of your maker speaking to you... Beatifully said! That's how I feel about a few places in Red Rock and they have kept my sanity living here in Sin City. After reading your description I am so looking forward to our trip to Death Valley.

Good to meet you.

Bilbo said...

Hi Barb,

Nice to meet you as well. Hope the flowers are still in bloom... My comments regarding Las Vegas only apply to the Strip. I know nothing about the rest of the city or the area in general. I do intend to visit Red Rock and Hoover Dam the next time I head up that way but that probably won't be for awhile. In general I don't like big cities. Prefer nature. I take vacations to get away from stress and the fast pace of modern life and usually head to either the coast, mountains, or desert. If you explore my blog you will find some other pictures of the Pacific coast and the Point Reyes area near San Francisco where I took a trip about a month ago.....