Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I'm Jazzed

The article from the Bakersfield Californian on Death Valley National Park reads, "The wettest year on record here has transformed this forbidding wilderness of scruffy mountains and buckled earth into a vividly unfamiliar world of wildflowers and reflecting pools, triggering ecological cycles not seen before on so large a scale. Against a backdrop of snowcapped peaks, the regions contoured badlands and splintery rock towers are festooned with bright yellow, pink, white and deep purple blossoms spreading out in all directions....In some places even the rocks are blooming...It's our best bloom in history, and the flowers are getting better by the day" ....As I read these opening lines I felt a shiver go up my spine and I quickly got online to find hotel accomodations to spend a couple of days in the premier desert wonderland of North America. It took some doing but I finally was able to find a hotel an hour an a half from the entrance to the park.... I'm jazzed.... Haven't been to Death Valley in a long time but this looks like perhaps the best opportunity that has come along in the past century and I don't want to miss the show. Will be heading out on Monday morning with my girlfriend Lynn for three glorious days in God's country. On the way back we will spend one night in Sin City/Vegas to check out the sites and take a few pictures. Have only been to Vegas twice and usually can't handle more than 24 hours there but it is a architechtural marvel that demands a certain amount of respect I suppose. Be back in time for Good Friday and intend to spend some quality time with my two sons who will get back from their mission trip to Mexico. Looks like a great Easter week on tap and am really looking forward to spending quality time with family and loved one's and enjoying the beauty of the world God has created......

2 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

I heard on NPR the other day that the wildflowers in bloom out west are drawing attention from all around the country. Your "green desert" photos from several days ago convey the uniqueness of this time. I am eager to see some of the beauty that you'll capture and publish here. A faint echo of the real thing, I know, but it's gonna have to do me for now.

I have my own trip to New York City coming up at the end of March, when I'll be chaperoning our high school marching band. Just bought a 512 MB card for my camera, so I can take dozens or hundreds of pix when I journey to the Big Apple for the first time ever in my life!

Bilbo said...

I'm sure I'll take hundreds of pictures next week and post a few here on my blog. Glad you mentioned your memory card. I'm using a 256 MB card right now but I probably need to pick up a 512 card before I go. When I bought the camera about a month ago I never thought I would be taking so many pictures but I find taking pictures with a digital camera irresistable at times.