Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The Interview Game


One of my fellow bloggers Julie recently posted a blog on a game called The Interview Game. It looked like a lot of fun so I signed up to play. Here are my responses to the questions Julie asked me.


1. What is your favorite (sacred) natural (as in mountains, oceans, meadows) spot in California and when did you first discover it?

Bilbo: This is a really tough one Julie because over the years I have really learned to love all natural settings and since California has everything from the biggest trees in the world to deserts to snow covered peaks this one is really hard....but....I will have to say my favorite place over the past 15 years has to be Redwood National Park which is located in the Northwest corner of the state just south of the Oregon border between Eureka and Cresent City. I like this place the best because it is so peaceful walking through the ancient forests. You also don't have the hoards of people in Redwood National Park that you do have in most other National Parks....and.... the coastline in the area is rugged, pristine, and has the feel of real wilderness, particularly the Lost Coast area which is located south of Redwood National Park.

Question 2: What is the silliest moment you can recall in your classroom this year?

Bilbo: Hmmmmm?....Probably the day I brought in my collection of action figures and encouraged my students to sing along to the Spongbob Squarepants theme song which is played when I push the button on my Spongbob action figure.....

3. Which Bruce Cochburn lyric speaks to your life right now?

Bilbo:

"Today" it would have to be

Somebody Touched Me

Somebody touched me
Making everything new
Somebody touched me
I didn't know what to do
Burned through my life
Like a bolt from the blue
Somebody touched me
I know it was you

Somebody touched me
Deep in my bones
Turned a key in the hole
There was somebody home
Some would say that I'm dreaming
But I swear that it's true
Somebody touched me
I know it was you

Somebody touched me
Like the rain on the wind
Left me alone
Feeling like I'd been skinned
But I know you're with me
Whatever I go through
Somebody touched me
I know it was you

Question 4: Do you cook? What do you love to cook and why? (If you don't love to cook, where do you eat out and what do you love to order?)

Bilbo: My two sons claim I don't know how to cook but I love to barbecue and my various barbecue meals is about the only thing they don't complain about.

Question 5: What word of advice would you give your kids, if they asked you to direct their futures?

Bilbo: This is actually the easiest question of all. I would tell them to pursue what they love and enjoy doing. I feel so fortunate to be doing something for a living that I really enjoy. Most people don't have this priveledge or luxury in life and it is a blessing and just hope my two sons pursue their passions and end up doing what they love to do rather than get caught up in pursuing money or prestige.....

If you are interested in playing the game and want to be interviewed just follow the rules below and I will try to respond in a timely fashion.....Bilbo




The Official Rules of the Interview-Game
1. If you want to participate, leave a comment below saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal/blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions
6. I will answer reasonable follow up questions if you leave a comment.

3 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

OK Bilbo, you are invited to interview me.

Bilbo said...

Cool Dave, here goes....

1. What activity do you enjoy doing most with your family?

2. Tell us something about yourself that we don't know that might surprise us.

3. Where do you see institutional mainstream evangelicalism going in the near future in the U.S.?

4. If you could choose any profession besides your own which profession would you think you would enjoy the most?

5. If you could spend an afternoon with a famous musician/movie star/entertainer who would it be and list one question you would ask them?

David Blakeslee said...

Wow, I almost forgot about this. Well I will get to it eventually. I beg your indulgence, won't have time for it tonight!