Sunday, March 13, 2005

A Day in the Desert

Just got back from spending the day in the California Desert at a place called the Devil's Punchbowl which is located north of the San Bernardino Mountains which seperate L.A. basin from the desert. I try to make it out to the desert once or twice a year usually when the damp cold fog starts getting to me here in the Central Valley. The desert has a unique beauty of it's own but yesterday it was as beautiful as I have ever seen it. Southern California has received an abundance of rain this year, in fact, L.A. apparently has received more rainful than Seattle which is mind boggling. The deserts this year probably have received about ten times the amount of rain which they usually receive which accounts for the green carpet of grass which currently covers the desert floor. Kind of wierd seeing green grass in the desert. May not ever see it as green as yesterday so I figured I better take some pictures before the hot sun scorces the desert floor and burns the grass to a crisp.

1 comment:

David Blakeslee said...

Once again, another set of enticing pictures, Bilbo. California is truly a natural wonderland... well, the parts not covered over by suburban sprawl, that is.

I notice that my pics of frosty Michigan and yours of sunny CA this weekend have blue skies in common. That's about it. And blue skies are relatively rare around here, especially in the winter, but really any time of year. We get clouded up quite a bit due to the big lake.

It's great that you have these nearby getaways at hand. I'll do a bit more exploring once I can walk outside in a light jacket. Keep sending us these postcards, and maybe it'll lead to me taking a vacation out your way - probably not moving though! At least not for the foreseeable future. Michigan = family and home for now...