Monday, January 01, 2007

I've been up to my eyeballs getting my house in order since Christmas and thus have neglected my duty to say anything about the big game between Michigan and USC. I don't have much time to say much now either because I am getting the house ready for some friends who are coming over to watch the game in about four hours...so...I will have to limit my comments to some general impressions...I honestly don't know much about Michigan and have only seen them play once which was against Ohio State. I wasn't all that impressed with their defense which gave up alot of points and I don't think the game was as close as the final score. On paper Michigan should win the game. Statistically they have the numbers...great run defense...very good offense...and only one loss to a great Ohio State team...they also have motivation...and...more experience...USC...USC's offense has been up and down but their defense has been consistently good all season and I think their speed and big time hitters at linebacker and safety will surprise Michigan. You can move the ball against their defense but their stable of big time boppers will have Michigan's skill players looking over their shoulder's after they knock you silly a few times...Offesively, Booty has been good but not great...It is their running game which I believe will be the key to this game. None of their backs have great numbers but as a unit they have amassed alot of yards and Chauncy Washington is one of the best backs in the country no one has heard about. Before academic problems and injuries he was rated ahead of Bush and White on the depth chart. They both have one common opponent in Notre Dame and both teams manhandled the Irish which leads me to believe it will be a close game and will probably come down to a turnover or big play on special teams...Pomoxian Dave has predicted that the "mean and lean wolverines" will crush the men of Troy later today but I just have to yawn when I hear such nonsense. Been there, heard that before, from the folks in the Midwest who apparently have too much time on their hands during the cold winter months with nothing better to do than watch football and run around with sweatshirts bearing the logo of their favorite Midwest team. Out on the westcoast we have better things to do, in the land of fun and sun, than sit around and hope our favorite football team does well. And, if, USC loses today it will not be the end of the world because we still have the mountains, beaches, deserts, and beautiful forests to romp around in but God help the poor folks out in the Midwest who don't have much to look forward to if their team loses....Final prediction.....USC 21 Michigan 20....A real sqeaker...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't think that your tauntings have failed to hit their intended target, but I'm made of sturdier stock than to get drawn into a pointless exchange of jibes and cheap shots over a silly football game. Were I a lower caste of character, I would take umbrage at your insult to the honor and dignity of my fellow Midwesterners. I prefer to let our fine athletic representatives attend to their responsibilities, confident that when all is said and done, I and the rest of us who live in "flyover country" will have been sufficiently vindicated, silencing the scoffers once and for all.

And for your information, I personally do not own any collegiate-themed sports apparel, not even that of my daughter's school, the nearby Division II Football Champion Grand Valley State Lakers, who successfully defended their title last month, winning their 28th straight game and fourth national title in the past five years. Now THAT'S what you call a dynasty!