Monday, January 15, 2007

A couple of months ago I mentioned I was going to visit a few churches. I have been kind of looking for a church, half heartedly I admit, but I have visited a local Congregational Church about four times during the last nine weeks. Most of the time I just sat in the back, listened to the sermon, and generally left at soon as the service was over. Yesterday, for the first time since my self imposed exile of almost six years I feel like I have made a connection with a local church. The connection occured after the service when I was approached by a woman who took the initiative to talk to me before I bolted for the parking lot. We talked for almost an hour and would have probably talked much longer but I had to pick up my two sons. It turns we that we used to attend the same Evangelical Church years ago and her spiritual journey and departure from the Conservative religious subculture sounded very similar to my own. I also learned alot about the church from her during the hour and discovered that the pastor and the congregation is very open to people, like myself, who are either ambiguous, nuanced, or unwilling to take stands on many of the dogmatic aspects of traditional Christianity. I can't tell you how refreshing it was to talk to someone, face to face, outside of cyberspace who was willing to accept and not judge the journey and place I am in life regarding my understanding of my faith. I don't know where this will lead in the weeks or months to come but for the first time, since I can't remember, I am actually looking forward to going to church next week. The church is also very active in the community on numerous fronts and is looking for ways to actively engage the community on the war in Iraq. I realize no church is perfect because people have flaws and limitations but it is very encouraging to know that there are some churches and people out there that share my passion and perspective on the relationship between culture and religion...Honestly, I had all but given up on finding a local church where I felt I could worship and be a part of but yesterday my hope was renewed and for that I am grateful....and....thanks to the lady, for taking the time to care and share with a wandering soul who has been in the desert for a long, long, time....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a bit teary eyed Bill - your story really touched me. I don't know why church is so hard ... it has often been hard for me. I am glad that you found one that you can feel a part of.

On a different note I was glad that SD kept Marty. He is a good coach and worth giving another chance. I predict that SD will make it to the AFC Champonship game next year ... but don't stone me if they don't :)

Blessings, Bob

Bilbo said...

Hi Bob,

I appreciate you sharing your "heart"...I hope and didn't intend to imply that going to church is a bad thing, but I confess, I stopped going to church because it became too painful...emotionally...but... My self imposed exile was "my" choice and I concede I am responsible for my own issues that contributed to my disconnect from church as an institution...but...I would like to add that I think churches make a huge mistake when they put dogmas, principles, theology, and conformity above people...I too am glad the Chargers kept Marty. I am not a big fan of his, but I confess I don't know much about the "man"...and...the way the game played out can't be simply explained in terms of what Marty did or didn't do. Some of it was just bad luck, imo. Brady should have had five interceptions in that game and if the San Diego defensive backs would have caught the two interceptions they should have everyone would have been asking what happened to the fall of Brady...Sports is often fickle and unpredictable...but...is part of the charm of the sport...

Anonymous said...

"conformity above people"

Well said Bill. Conformity is the bane of all religion and church.