Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Three of everything

Earlier today I was tagged by Kelly to play a game which I will call the “game of three” because all of the questions come in threes. Here are the questions and if anyone wants to play along please be my guest.

Three screen names I’ve had: I’ve only had one screen name and guess what it is?...My close and long time friend Damon Johnson started calling me Bilbo years ago because of my obsession with anything related to the Lord of the Rings. I used this name from the get go on cyberspace in an effort to diffuse some of the tension on the various religious/philosophical groups I have belonged to over the years.

Three things I like about myself: Hmmmm???....How does one do this without sounding arrogant?...I like my sense of humor….The fact that I generally try to take into consideration other peoples needs when I make my decisions….and….I see myself as fairly well balanced in terms of the relationship between our emotions/intellect/spirituality.

Three things I don’t like about myself: My inability to make decisions at critical times. although I think I am getting better….My tendency to become obsessed about a wide range of things and experiences….My tendency to allow others to take advantage of me sometimes…

Three parts of my heritage: Don’t know too much about my family heritage because I was adopted and raised by my grandparents and saw my parents only a few times during my life….My grandparents came from Oklahoma looking for work back in the 40’s. They were true blue Okies. My grandparents on my father side were German and were actually born in Germany. My grandmother tells me there is significant Indian blood in our family tree. Suspect maybe Cherokee since most of my family on my mothers side is from Oklahoma.

Three things that scare me: The conflict in the Middle East, The Economy, and George Bush’s pre-emptive strike foreign policy.

Three of your everyday essentials: Freedom….Don’t like to be controlled, micro-managed, or manipulated, especially by friends, colleagues, or family members. Daily stimulation….Need daily intellectual, emotional, physical and visual stimulation. If I take the time to read, meditate, exercise, and expose my self to some form of beauty usually the day goes pretty well and my spirit is uplifted but if these things are absent than my soul suffers and my body feels it…..and…..Space. I need a time during each day where I can just relax, think, veg out, or whatever without the interference of others.

Three things you are wearing right now: Actually I am only wearing two things. Shorts and underwear. It gets pretty hot in my neck of the woods and let’s just say modesty is not one of my strong points.

Three of my favorite songs: Strange Waters and Child of the Wind, both by Bruce Cockburn….and….Knights in White Satin by the Moody Blues. Just love the poem at the end……

"Breathe deep in the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy's spent
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one
Lonely man cries for love and has none
New mother picks up and suckles her sun
Senior citizens wish they were young
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colors from our sight
Red is grey and yellow white
And we decide which is right
And which is an illusion?"

Things I want in a relationship: a partner where mutual give and take is a regular part of the relationship, intimacy…where both partners “feel safe” to share what they really think and feel. The motivation and desire to work on the relationship while being patient enough to accept each others shortcomings….

Two truths and a lie: I have climbed Mount Rainier, Mount Mckinley, and Mount Whitney all in one year, I once saw a UFO, and I once lost 22 pounds in one week while backpacking in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Three things I can’t do without: An encouraging word from time to time, People who genuinely care about my welfare, and acceptance from family and friends.

Three places you want to go on vacation: New Zealand, the British Isles, and Switzerland.

Three things you just can’t do: Fixing things around the house, play an instrument, be nice to bullies and manipulators/abusers

Three kids names: Bainton, Alexander, and Autumn.

Things you want to do before you die: Hmmmm?....Take a grandchild on a trip to the mountains, get involved in community/social work/project that I feel passionate about, and get healthy enough again to take one more backpack trip to Iceberg Lake and walk along the shore of Ediza Lake which John Muir said was the most beautiful lake in the Sierra Nevada Mountains…..and see U-2 in concert….Actually that's four if your'e keeping track....

Three celeb crushes: Ashley Judd, Janeane Garofalo, and Laura Linney…..

3 comments:

Bilbo said...

Missed that one. Have to check it out. I haven't seen alot of her films but the few I have seen I just find myself mesmorized by her screen prescence for some reason. It's not so much a physical attraction thing as much as something I really can't put a finger on. Suppose it is the kind of thing that just draw us to certain people. It's a mystery, a conundrum, and an enigma all rolled up in one....If the stars align together I told my sons I would take them to New Zealand for their high school graduation present. I've been wanting to go there for a long time. Long before Peter Jackson and his merry LOTR cast put the place on the map....

David Blakeslee said...

This discussion of Janeane Garafolo is interesting. I like her more for her humor and politics but the pic you have posted here shows off her cuter side, I must admit. Her acting roles play her up as a sharp-tongued, edgy woman who would be quite a handful in a more intimate relationship! Maybe that's where the intrigue comes in for you two?

Bilbo said...

Dave writes regarding Janeane Garafolo," Her acting roles play her up as a sharp-tongued, edgy woman who would be quite a handful in a more intimate relationship! Maybe that's where the intrigue comes in for you two?"...That's part of it. Over the years I have come to appreciate women who express themselves and are a bit on the edge. At least I know what they are thinking and feeling. Alot of women are socialized to be passive and thus repress saying what they might think or feel and than one is left trying to guess or interpret their body language. But the worst part about repression and passivity is that one cannot remain passive or repressed forever and eventually it will all come to the surface and that can be just as much a handful to deal with IMHO, FWIW....