Friday, June 17, 2005

Therapy

Last week and the first part of this week I was really in a funk…depressed…No need to go into any of the gory details why...Tuned the corner on Monday evening when I decided to devote myself to some major cleaning, rearranging, and decorating projects here on the home front. When I get depressed and am singing the blues I can rarely just think, pray, or spend my way out it. Generally a change of environment will perk me up which is probably why I often head for the beach, mountains, or forest, but since I couldn’t get away this week I decided to change the environment here at the house.

Over the past three days I have put in some really long hours cleaning the garage, carpets, bathrooms, and the walls. Not the most exciting way to spend ones summer but personally satisfying and therapeutic, nonetheless. Even my shrink said she thought it was good for me to put my hand to the plow. I have presently completed cleaning and decorating two rooms, if you want to call it decorating. Didn’t want to paint the rooms which is probably what really needs to be done so I just covered the walls with some Lord of the Rings posters and my extensive hat collection. How clever of me if I may say so myself. During the process of major cleaning I have no doubt destroyed many an insect habitat. Can’t say I feel bad about it though because they have had free reign around these parts going on three years now. Even got the bug spray out and doused their environment so they might think twice about setting up shop again anytime soon. I still have a ways to go to complete the mission at hand but think I will take a few days off to let my bad back recuperate. Next week I will recruit my two teenage sons to do some heavy lifting in the living room so I can clean and shampoo the carpet. It could be interesting to see what is behind some of the furniture in this house since I don’t think some of it has been moved for almost a decade now. Who knows, maybe I might find Jimmy Hoffa’s body. Oooops, I forgot. Jim Carey already found Hoffa….Will settle for finding a hundred dollar bill or diamond wedding ring left behind years ago. Realistically I am more likely to find the capital city of some little critter empire. If I do I will simply nuke em and claim they were insurgent terrorists. That should set my mind at ease. I wonder if I should contact the local Fox news station. They might be interested in local story about cleansing the world of terrorism. What do you think?...Better wrap this up. Getting off track and my imagination is starting to take over, again, which frequently happens when I have too much time on my hands…..

2 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

Believe it or not, I do enjoy reading about your house-cleaning and organizing project. Actually, I'm envious. I have rooms full of stuff that I would like to pitch or donate but it is so hard finding time to do that and getting agreement on what we need or don't is not easy in my family. One person's treasure is another person's junk, you know how it goes. So I gaze admiringly on your stripped down, efficient-yet-entertaining decor, the hat collection and all that and say to myself, "aaahhh, someday, I'll be free from all this clutter..."

Unknown said...

Here, here. I'm with Dave. I keep embarking on cleaning out projects only to be inundated by new stuff to sort as my kids bring it in. :)

Loved your hat collection and your LOTR stuff too. Jacob has his own LOTR collectibles shelf in his room.

You're doing great with all the photos too. We got a new digital camera so I hope to join you and Dave in posting more pix.