Friday, June 24, 2005

A Grateful Heart

Earlier this week my brother was involved in a serious head on collision on Interstate 5 in Central California while coming to visit my mom and I. Apparently the driver in the other car crossed a fifty foot divide going the opposite direction and hit my brother head on. The speculation at this point is that the other driver may have either fallen asleep at the wheel or had a heart attack because a fifty foot divide is a wide divide to cross while conscious. Upon impact my brother’s truck flipped an estimated four or five times before landing and than caught on fire and was totally consumed in flames minutes later. My brother’s son who was the only passenger escaped through the narrow back window. He was unable to pull his father from the wreck but with the help of others at the scene they were able to pull my brother from the truck just minutes before the truck burst into flames. My brother sustained serious injuries to his ankles and legs below the knees and is currently in a hospital in Sacramento California. He suffered no serious head or chest injuries. Thank God. His son walked away from the accident without any serious injuries and is now recuperating at home. This has been a dramatic week for my brother, his wife, and the rest of the family but we are all very grateful that the accident was not more serious than it was for my brother and his son. The same however cannot be said for the other driver who had to be flown to a hospital in a helicopter. Apparently he is in critical condition and was near death. It is our hope and prayers that he survived and may he and his family somehow find some comfort and hope in this most difficult time. I don’t really have anything more to add except to repeat that I am grateful that my brother and his son survived what could have easily been a much more serious situation…..

2 comments:

Bilbo said...

Thanks for your prayers and concern Kelly...and...Thanks for the L'engle tip. I have read Wrinkle in Time and I still place her book The Glorious Impossible on my coffe table each year at Christmas time...

David Blakeslee said...

Wow, that's an amazing and also disturbing thing that happened to your brother. How quickly our lives can change, and so randomly...

I wish him all the best in his recovery. Keep us posted on how it goes for him, Bill.