Thursday, June 02, 2005

Books

Recently I was tagged by Preacher Russ to participate in a book convoy. Since I have had a love affair with books for some time now I thought I would play along...So here goes....

1. Total number of books I own: Honestly, I have no idea. I have books scattered everywhere. At work, at home, and a fair number in boxes. Have sold alot of my books in the last five years. Used to hoard books but presently only own about 100 books I would have trouble parting with. I'm a somewhat quasi book collector. I have a nice collection of Illuminated Manuscript reproductions and quite a few nicely illustrated myths and children books. My prized collection includes a 1800 illustated Pilgrims Progress and an awesome reproduction of the Kelmscott Press release of the Cantebury Tales.

2. Last book I bought: I seldom buy one book at a time anymore. I keep a running list of books that I want to buy and than order maybe at least ten at a time at amazon. My most recent purchase included, Healing Through the Dark Emotions: The Wisdom of Grief, Fear, and Despair, Miriam Greenspan.... The Kalevala...A Finnish Classic Myth....We Love Each Other, But...Ellen Wachtel...and...Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway....Susan Jeffers....

3. Last Book I Read: Healing Through the Dark Emotions.

4. Five Books That Mean a lot to me: Francis Schaeffer True Spirituality...Vernard Eller Christian Anarchy...Stanley Grenz Primer on Postmodernism....Lord of the Rings.....A Severe Mercy....can't remember the author....I included these books because they all had a profound effect on my thinking at the time, my emotions, or my imagination. Lord of the Rings stimulated my imagination and opened doors to a side of me that was never developed as a child. Severe Mercy awakened my emotions and the other three books radically changed the way I thought about my understanding of Christianity, the church, and my own Christian interpretation of my faith and what it means to be a Christian.

5. Two Major books as a kid: I have none. I did not read as a kid and I only remember reading two books in high school: All Quiet On the Western Front and Willard...A story about rats. I did not start reading books until I was around 21 which might help explain why I became such a voracious reader during my latter 20's and 30's. I guess I was making up for lost time.....

No comments: