Sunday, April 17, 2005

The Upside of Anger

I haven’t gone out to see too many movies over the past couple of months since the local price of a ticket has skyrocketed to nine bucks a pop. For nine bucks I can buy a DVD and see it as many times as I want and if I decide to take my girlfriend and two sons it will cost a whapping 36 bucks!...So, lets just say I have decided to be very selective in what I go see at the movies…..Yesterday I was getting cabin fever and wanted to do something and since I was in a kind of a funk after an intense week on the home front I decided to bite the bullet and go out to dinner and see a movie with my girlfriend Lynn. The choices came down to The Upside of Anger and Sin City. Personally I didn’t care which movie we saw but I was more uncertain about the Upside of Anger than I was about Sin City. Both movies have received very good reviews but Sin City has received raving reviews from many of the critics and the “people on the streets”…. I deferred to Lynn and she said she would rather see a comedy/drama than an action movie…O.K…second thoughts…18 bucks for a drama?...Hmmm?...I normally don’t go see too many drama/human interest stories at the movies these days because there are really no advantages to seeing a drama on a large screen. On the other hand, action flicks/special effect extravaganza’s do make a huge difference. Watching LOTR or Star Wars just doesn’t cut it on a 27 inch screen at home…More second thoughts…Eighteen bucks to see Kevin Costner???....Serious doubts begin to settle in…Why did I defer?...But I did….Can’t back down now…Can I?...Moving onward and upward I reluctantly slipped the lady behind the window my 18 bucks and off we strolled down the corridor to theatre number four into the dark night…This better be good is all I could think about, or else......

What a great movie!..What a great choice…Can’t imagine Sin City would be any better than this movie…Great acting…Great cast all the way around…Joan Allen is magnificent….Best movie Kevin Costner has done since????...Gripped me emotionally….Down to earth….Full of emotion….Great script….Incredible ending….Cautionary Tale…Engaged me the entire two hours…Liked it even better than Sideways which was the last really good drama I watched…Will no doubt see it again…and the ultimate compliment…Intend to buy the DVD when it comes out...Lynn loved it as well and wants to take her parents to see it when they come to visit next week…When it comes to movie choices I have a lot of confidence. I read a lot of movie reviews and seldom get burned. I admit my confidence was a little shaky before going to see this movie but my confidence was restored to it’s lofty, sometimes arrogant position, therefore, I don’t mind recommending this film very highly without any reservations to anyone who reads this report from the frontiers of movie cyberspace….

1 comment:

David Blakeslee said...

Wow, that's a strong recommendation! I hadn't thought much of seeking this movie out but now I'm intrigued. I'll let you know what I think whenever I get to it.