Saturday, April 16, 2005

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

What band was the top concert draw in North America during the 1990’s and has sold more than 90 million albums since the early 1980’s?.....U-2, R.E.M., Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam?......The answer is Metallica. If this answer surprises you, you are not alone. I knew Metallica was a popular draw amongst heavy metal bands but I had no idea they had such a huge following or such drawing power until I watched the documentary Metallica: Some Kind of Monster. I have to say I was quite impressed not only with the documentary but the candid look into the lives of the members of the biggest heavy metal band in history. Although I confess I don’t own any of their music my curiosity in the film was peaked after listening to Roger Ebert describe the documentary last year on his show. Metallica allowed a film crew to follow them around for a couple of years while they were working on their 2003 release of Saint Anger their first release in five years. The documentary covers both their individual and corporate struggles during the most difficult period of the bands history in a way that doesn’t come across as a slick self promoting marketing product of the band or the record company. Although I don’t connect with their music I did find myself at numerous times connecting with the individuals on several fronts which surprised me.

The documentary IMO does a wonderful job humanizing the lives of each band member which is a huge accomplishment considering the track record of Hollywood and the fact that they are one of the biggest bands in the world. Much of the documentary is focused on the interpersonal relationships between the various band members as they attempt to work together in producing their most recent album. It’s not about their music, accomplishments, fame, or fortune but rather the struggles and demons they all encounter along the way. Much of the film covers the conversations between the various members and their personal psychologist who was hired to help the band during this difficult time. The film is not particularly enlightening regarding the interactions but it is unique and quite novel as it records the candid opinions and thoughts of the entire band. I came away feeling like these guys are a lot like me which is quite an accomplishment considering the difference between their world and mine and most people’s perception of the world of heavy metal music. I’m not ready to go down and buy their music anytime soon but I have gained a new respect for the band and the lives of the people presented in this documentary. Two thumbs up…….

No comments: