Sunday, April 10, 2005

Elton John Part II

On Nov.11th 1970 Elton John performed a live studio album in New York before 125 invited guests. The name of the album was appropriately called 11-17-70. Most, if not all the songs on this album were previously recorded on other albums but the improvisations and the raw energy of this future rock superstar are best represented on this album and for folks who prefer the passion of youth and the live sound over studio this is the album to give a spin. From the first song the “Bad Side of the Moon” to the final 18 minute version of Burn Down the Mission this album is Early Live Elton John at his best. Even folks who don’t like the slick sounding pop star of yesteryear or today I predict will be pleasantly surprised by the energy, talent, and piano power that is contained on this album.

Lyrics from the Friends album

I hope the day will be a lighter highway
For friends are found on every road
Can you ever think of any better way
For the lost and weary travellers to go
Making friends for the world to see
Let the people know you got what you need
With a friend at hand you will see the light
If your friends are there then everything's all right



In 1971 Elton John provided the songs for the movie Friends. Never saw the movie but did buy the album. By this time my infatuation with Karen, my first love, was over because she was now dating a senior football player but during this time I met a girl named Carloyn in my English class who was a fellow Elton John groupie which was rare to find during my high school years. We really hit it off but our relationship never went beyond friends because we both were too introverted and relationships based strictly on common musical tastes usually don’t last too long. But it was nice and wonderful to be able to share, albeit a short time, my love for Elton John’s music with someone else. The Friends album is no longer available but all of the songs are available on the Elton John Rare Masters C.D. which was released in 1992. The Friends album is a beautifully “romantic” album which contains three of my all time favorite Elton John romantic/love songs, Michelle’s Song, Friends, and Seasons. I still love to listen to this album on a cold winter morning when I just feel like cuddling with a loved one. It’s soooooo romantic!!!!!

Michelle’s Song

Cast a pebble on the water
Watch the ripples gently spreading
We were meant to be together
We were made for one another
In a time it takes to grow up
If only we were old enough
Then they might leave us both alone
So take my hand in your hand
Say it's great to be alive
No one's going to find us
No matter how they try
No one's going to find us
It's wonderful so wild beneath the sky
Sleeping in the open
See the shadows softly moving
Take a train towards the southlands
Our time was never better
We shall pass the sights of splendor
On the door of a new life
It had to happen soon I guess
Whether it is wrong or it is right
We learned to be so graceful
Watching wild horses running
And from those agile angels
We knew the tide was turning
For we watched as on the skyway
The herons circled slowly
While we mere mortals watched them fly
Our sleepless eyes grew heavy…..


Seasons

For our world, the circle turns again

Throughout the year we've seen the seasons change
It's meant a lot to me to start anew
Oh the winter's cold but I'm so warm with you
Out there there's not a sound to be heard
And the seasons seem to sleep upon their words
As the waters freeze up with the summer's end
Oh it's funny how young lovers start as friends
Yes it's funny how young lovers start as friends

Second thoughts:

Earlier I said if I was forced to pick a favorite Elton John album at gun point I would probably pick Tumbleweed Connection but on second thought I would probably pick the 1971 release of Madman Across the Water. I love this album. I love this album. I love this album. No mega hits on this album, unless you want to count Tiny Dancer, just a lot of really good songs with great orchestra accompaniment. My favorite Elton John ballad is on this album, Indian Sunrise. This album has a lot of range and variety and IMO marks the greatness of Elton John’s musical talent. Levon, Madman Across the Water, Holiday Inn, and Razor Face all reflect the emerging talent of a future master musician.

2 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

Bilbo, thanks for these reflections on classic-period Elton. I enjoy reading this kind of stuff, about how music that has become familiar and almost "canonical" to so many people affects us on a more intimate or personal level. So often it seems like the focus is on album sales, or who's currently hip and who's fallen out of pop-star favor.

The song "Friends" actually connects me back to my youth. My parents had an 8-track tape with a bunch of popular songs from 1970, it was a "bootleg" compilation that my dad bought at a gas station one day. I was in 4th grade at the time. The tape featured "Friends" as well as "O Ye Como Va" (Santana) and "One Toke Over the Line" (Brewer & Shipley) and "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" (Lobo) and "Another Day" (Paul McCartney) and "Freedom" (Jimi Hendrix) and "Lover Her Madly" (The Doors) and a few songs by Creedence Clearwater Revival and several others. All good ones, of course! That tape, long lost by now, is probably still my all-time favorite compilation! Just because of the memories it stirs up in me, as well as the mostly unheralded greatness of early post-60's pop/rock music.

Bilbo said...

I am happy to hear that you and Julie appreciated this post because it took alot of courage to come out of the closet on this one. Hopefully I'll follow this up in the future with Bruce Cockburn and U-2. Don't hold your breathe Julie. U-2 will be last and I probably won't get around to it until I get inspired again which may not happen for awhile...