Sunday, April 10, 2005

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week
A rocket man, a rocket man
And I think it's gonna be a long long time...

Rocket Man has probably become my current favorite Elton John concert song. I just love it when you continues playing at the keyboard long after the studio version is over while he softly plays the keyboard as he continues to repeat and echo, I am a Rocket Man, I am a Rocket Man, I am a Rocket Man. You just never want the song to end. Rocket Man was the smash hit off his 1972 release called Honky Chateau. Honky Chateau IMO represents the last album free of the pop rock sound that will gradually make it’s way into Elton John’s repertoire in the years to come. Songs like Salvation, Amy, Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters harken back to the Tumbleweed Connection days when Elton John was experimenting with ballads and the dominant sound of Elton pounding away at the piano. For the pure of heart when it comes to classic Elton John this is the last album of the early classic era but IMO Elton still has three great albums left in him but those will have to wait for another day.

No comments: