Monday, July 03, 2006

Well, I am just minutes away from the beginning of my five week vacation. My girlfriend Lynn and I will be heading to Lake Tahoe in a few minutes for five days and than we will head over to Mammoth Lakes for another four days before I head home next week. When I get back I will pick up my son Wesley and we will head up north for two and a half weeks to God's country, the north coast and Redwood National Park. I am really looking forward to going to Lake Tahoe tomorrow because Lynn and I hope to catch the firework show over the Lake tomorrow night. It should be stupendous. Normally I am not a big Fourth of July kind of guy because I hate all the crowds and all but tomorrow I will suck it up because I anticipate that the firework displays over Lake Tahoe will be worth the hassle of feeling crowded. ....Earlier today I was contemplating why I spend so much time each summer camping and away from home and here are some reasons why I love camping and am willing to put my body in harm's way of mother nature.....

Reasons I love camping and travelling

1. I go camping because I can. I am a teacher and I have the summers off.

2. It's therapeutic and cheaper than seeing a shrink. The average "good" shrink goes for about 100 dollars an hour. If I spent the entire day seeing a shrink it would cost between 800 to 1000 dollars. I can do an entire day of camping for less than 50 dollars. What a bargain!

3. Camping stimulates my senses...which...is something everyone needs. The smell of fresh pine needles, the sound of rushing water, the sight of a snow covered mountain peak, and the exposure to clean, cool air is good for one's soul.

4. I'ts slows me down. When I am at home I find it difficult to relax and chill. The phone rings, the internet is constantly beckoning me, or the television seeks my audience...but....when I am camping I can naturally slow down because I don't have all the distractions, gadgets, or other people needing or seeking my attention.

5. It's a great bonding experience. If you really want to get to know someone take them camping. Sleeping in the same tent, sitting and staring at the campfire, or going hiking or fishing are the kind of things that creates the type of memories that will last a lifetime.

6. I need an escape. That's right....I "need" an escape. Escapism gets too much bad press in my opinion. Everyone has their own coping/escape strategies and I just wish folks would own up to them. So what is it that I am trying to escape?....For starters, the city of Bakersfield and it's hellish summer weather and terrible air quality, the hustle and bustle of living in the city, the boredom of doing the daily routines, and the ongoing responsibilties of daily life. Sometimes you just need to get away from of it for your sanity and the sanity of others......well, that's all I have time for now and it's now time to get in the car and head down the highway. I'll be back next Wednesday for a few days before I head out again, so, in the meantime I hope everyone stays out of trouble and enjoys the fruits of summer......

1 comment:

kc bob said...

Hope you enjoyed the long vacation Bill.