Saturday, July 01, 2006

I just got back from the Bay area yesterday and will be home for a couple of days before I head out to Lake Tahoe on July 4th with Lynn my girlfriend for a week. This has been a crazy summer, so far, because I have had to juggle my time with my two sons, my mom, and Lynn,one week here, one week there. Last summer we all went on vacation together but this summer I am taking three separate vacations. It's a long story. I really don't mind spending individual time with my loved ones because there are some advantages to that but it does require alot of extra driving and wear and tear on my poor car. Speaking of cars, I bought a new car yesterday. I bought a 2006 Toyota Corolla and I was very pleased with the deal I got. I actually bought the car for a lower price than was listed on the internet. I think I got a great deal because it has a manual transmission and the new cars will be arriving soon. Manual transmissions are in much less demand and thus are generally cheaper. I actually prefer driving a stick shift because you get better gas mileage and I drive alot in the mountains. I decided to buy a new car because I intend to let my two sons use my other car as soon as they get their license, hopefully, sometime later this year and I didn't want to give them a car that was totally thrashed and would break down all the time. There is nothing particularly special about the new car. It's the basic model with no bells or whistles. I wanted to buy a Honda Civic this time around but they wanted 4,000 dollars more than the car I bought. When it comes to cars I only care about how the car runs. I have had excellent luck with Japanese cars for the past fifteen years and have no intention of buying an American Car until the American car companies get their acts together. When it comes to small cars you cannot beat Honda or Toyota. I drive alot and dependency is critical to me. I have owned a couple of American cars before and I have had nothing but problems with them....anyway....Not much more to report. Am going to clean up around the house today and get ready for my trip and stay out of the heat. It's only about 100 degrees for the next few days which is bearable. When I left it was boiling and I'll be leaving before the next heat wave arrives sometime later next week...

3 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

That's a sharp looking ride. By no bells or whistles, just how basic is it? I suppose CD player is standard, right? My taste and experience in cars is so plain, really, that a decent sound system is enough to get me kind of excited. I have never really had the kind of money at my disposal to justify adding lots of fancy gadgets or state-of-the-art features to whatever vehicle I drive. In fact, most of my driving life has been spent tooling around in "barely adequate" cars and vans. It's gotten the past few years - remember my "chocolate jelly bean" purchase last summer, which still serves me well - it got us to Cincinnati and back last weekend without any problem whatsoever. And it's off to Detroit on Monday again!

Bilbo said...

By basic I mean, no electric windows, cloth seats, etc. Just give me an air conditioner, C.D. player, and a reliable engine which is what I have. It's the cheapest model Toyota produces. I can relate the "barely adequate" models. Prior to 1999 I never spent more than 2800 dollars for a car and paid cash for every single car I bought. I now buy new cars because I can afford it and I do so much driving. Some years I travel as much as 30,000 miles to work and vacation and I need something reliable. My sons don't particularly like my "plain Jane" new edition but to me a car is simple a means to get from point A to point B, nothing more, nothing less....

kc bob said...

I like Toyotas ... good luck with this one.