Sunday, April 30, 2006


Over the years I have personally met and, in some cases, talked to the following individuals who are either nationally known or at least recognized by a lot of folks. I have met a number of well known celebrities/individuals while attending a conference or workshop from time to time but the list below includes celebrites I simply bumped into when I least expected it. Following are some of the “close encounters of the celebrity kind” and a breif description of the encounters.

Bill Walton: Bill Walton is the greatest college basketball "I" have ever seen. His passion, intensity, and selflish team first attitude were legendary in the annuals of sports history. A reincarnation of Bill Russell but a Bill Russell who could shoot and score when needed...and...maybe the greatest passing center in history. His performance against Memphis State in the NCAA finals was arguably one of, if not, the greatest single big game college performance of all time. Walton scored 42 points which included making 21 of 22 shots which is still an NCAA record for the college tournament….While attending Oregon State during the early 1980’s I met and talked to Bill Walton for about five minutes. The encounter occurred at the end of the UCLA/Oregon State game. At the time Walton was the broadcaster for the Bruins and I was a student at Oregon State. When the game ended between the Bruins and the Beavers I walked down to floor where Walton was standing by himself. Apparently no one wanted to talk to him since he is a Bruin grad who brought a significant amount of pain and grief to Beaver fans during his three year stint at UCLA. I walked up to him, introduced myself and told him I was from Southern California and admired his game both in college and the pros. I don’t remember anything in particular he said but I do remember him as a gracious person who took the time to entertain/ indulge me and sign an autograph request before we both went on our merry way.

Dan Fouts: Dan Fouts, imo, is one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history. While he never won the superbowl he was the field general of one of the greatest offenses in NFL history and if his San Diego Chargers hadn’t played in the coldest game in history, in Cincinnati back in the 80's, I am sure they would have won at least one Super Bowl…. Meeting Dan Fouts was probably my most unusual encounter. While camping in a wilderness area in Oregon back in the 80’s a friend and I camped next to a group of guys who appeared to just be hangin out and fishing. As we walked by thier campsite I caught a glance of a guy who looked like Dan Fouts. My buddy got a look as well but didn't think it was him. For the next hour my buddy and I argued back and forth over the bearded plaid shirt camper who was camping in the same campground as us. Dan Fouts is a graduate of the University Oregon I reminded my friend therefore it was possible, if not plausable, that he might just be hangin out in Oregon during the offseason with friends or family. My friend countered by arguing that big time quarterbacks don't hang out in primitive campgrounds, with no showers, and sleep on the ground in tents. They at least rent one of the monstrous RV's with satellite dishes so they can watch ESPN's Sportscenter before they go to bed each night. Back and forth, back and forth, we went. Finally, I got up the courage to walk over to their campsite and settle the feud once and for all. The camper we were acquiring about was not there at the time but a couple of his buddies were so we told them about our little feud. The gentleman we told our story to chuckled and introduced himself as Dan Fouts brother. Dan was off fishing for the day but would be back later. We never came back later for reasons I don't remember and even though I never got to shake Mr. Fouts hand or personally talk to him I was content to win the arguement with my buddy and retell this story more times than I can remember.

John Madden: Ex-coach of the Oakland Raiders and Monday Night Football icon....While visiting Carmel California about ten years ago I walked past an outdoor wedding in progress. Outdoor weddings I suspect are common in Carmel where the weather never gets above 75. On this particular day I just happened to notice a white haired gentleman talking to this huge guy about fifty feet away. The guy looked like John Madden....so..... I got as close as I could to this private wedding and as I glanced around I noticed that there were alot of really big guys walking to and fro. Not sure exactly how close I got but I did get close enough to positively I.D. John Madden. I suspect it was the wedding of some football players since many of the attendees were so huge. I was in a hurry and couldn't hang around so I never was able to I.D. any of the players.

Carl Weathers: Rocky fame/Apollo Creed... Years ago I went to a little outdoor cafe in Pasadena Ca. and the waitress sat my friend and I next to Apollo Creed. I am sure it was him because he couldn't have been more three feet away. He was looking buff and wearing a sporty green beret and sitting next to an attractive female I did not recognize. During our lunch I found myself eavesdropping from time to time on their conversation but I don't remember anything they said. In hindsight, I probably should have introduced myself as Rocky Balboa and asked him if he wanted one more rematch.

2 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

Thanks for these tales of celebrity brush-ups, Bilbo. These are fun anecdotes to read about.

I once crossed paths with Huey Lewis when he was out jogging in Marin County, back in the mid-80's, when I was fortunate enough to live in that enchanted realm.

I also served legal papers on Jerry Garcia around that same time, though I only saw him sitting in a recliner back in his living room when someone else came to his door to collect the summons or subpoena or whatever it was.

And I ran into Lindsay Lohan at Grand Central Station last April when she was filming a scene for the movie "Just My Luck" which is due to open this weekend, I believe.

I also remember when I was a kid, around ten or eleven years old, getting the autograph of Steve Owens, who was a highly touted running back prospect in the early 70's for the Detroit Lions. He'd just been drafted out of Oklahoma, I think, and I got his autograph at a department store. I don't think his career lived up to expectations.

Around that same time, I lived in Southfield, a suburb of Detroit. Dave Bing, who played basketball with the Pistons, lived somewhere within walking distance of my house, and some older boys who knew where he lived decided it would be a good idea to ring his doorbell and say hello, so we did. I just stood toward the back of the group, but he came to the door, said hi, and we left. I can't remember if he signed anything.

A few years ago, Kirk Gibson was at a local bookstore to do a book-signing. I just happened to stroll into the store, unaware that he was going to sign books, but I recognized him and then realized his purpose for being there. I decided to not approach him since I really had nothing much to say to him except that I respected his clutch-hitting ability when it came to big home runs in the World Series! But I figured he'd heard something like that a thousand times or more, so even though we made eye contact and I could tell he knew he'd been spotted and ID'ed, I just let him continue his browsing without having to acknowledge that he was indeed Kirk Gibson, one of the most popular Tigers of recent times.

And how about them Tigers?! It's really wierd to think of them as one of the better teams in baseball again, but I think one has to draw that conclusion after a month-plus into the season.

Bilbo said...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for sharing your own sightings and encounters. Loved the legal papers/Jerry Garcia sitting in the recliner sighting. Did you notice if he was eating Ben and Jerry's, Cherry Garcia?....What is it with all our sports celebrity sightings? Suppose it is a familarity thing. Famous judges/politicians etc. aren't that recognizable to the average joe.....Am happy for your Tigers. Don't really follow baseball too closey these days and generally wait until middle of summer before I start paying close attention. Tigers do look promising and as you know Giants are in a funk...but...it's way too early to take any of this seriously. Have been paying attention to big Al of the Cardinals. He's up to 16 homers already. The guy is a beast and suspect he will the dominant baseball world for years to come. Just hope he doesn't jump ship and become a Yankee.