Saturday, April 22, 2006

Had a series of interesting conversations last night while hanging out with some of my colleagues which included an administator at work, two science, one english and social studies teacher and a local journalist. The conversation centered around philosophy, particularly postmodernism and it's relationship to Christianity. I won't go into all of what was said because it would probably take me hours so I'll limit myself to a few comments. For most of the evening I found myself covering the usual ground which means "trying" to explain what Postmoderism is not. Most folks associate Postmodernism with moral relativism/ anti-reason/logic/science/technology and religion. Did my best at trying to explain that postmodernism, as I understand/interpret it, is not against modernity and it's applications, but do concede it raises doubts and is critical to the "supremacy and monopoly" of the Enlightment/Modernism's methodology, assumptions, and applications. In my world, questioning or being critical of something is not the same thing as being against/anti, but, unfortunately alot of folks don't seem to understand or agree with this nuance.....regarding moral relativism.....In my book everyone is a moral relativist if you interpret moral relativism as an attempt to take situations and context into consideration when making ethical decisions which I believe is what everyone does to one degree or another. Also, as I understand postmodernism and ethics, postmodernists are not saying truth, right and wrong, etc. don't exist, but rather, they and I, do question the "foundations" truth claims are based on, which means that rationalists, fundamentalists,existentialists, or any other ists or isms no longer get a free ride...either or/black and white is no longer naturally assumed particularly when it comes to historical,theological,philosophical interpretation and metaphysical certainity. This does not imply that truth with a capital "T" does not exist but my ability to fully understand and assertain the full scope of such intellectual endeavors is limited by my limits as an individual and the limits of science, reason, etc.....thus....."moral assertions" about this or that are generally limited to "acts" of inhumanity/harm to other humans, mother earth, and the creatures that share the planet with us......regarding the relationship between postmodernism and Christianity.....One participant attempted, unsuccessfully, imo, to persuade everyone that the relationship and the effects of postmodernism on Christianity was nothing new under the sun but I did attempt to suggest that I do believe what we are seeing is "qualitatively" different than anything we have seen in the past. For thousands of years Christians and non Christians have argued and attempted to persuade each other about the Bible, the nature of Christ, and the various ethical implications and applications of the Christian tradition and worldview.....but.....during this time, as I understand and interpret it, most of the participants, most of the time, took an either or/black/white approach to such matters which often resulted in a sense of moral supremacy and assurance of certainity for the winners and heretical/pagan status for the losers....but....here is what I see as different in the current postmodern intellectual climate.....either or/blackwhite, is no longer the "only" or even the primary option for alot of folks, especially, when it comes to metaphysical questions, historical interpretations of the Christian tradition, and doctrinal conclusions about this or that....or the put it another way....both/and is now an "acceptable" if not perferable option for alot of folks....The implications....Did Jesus rise from the dead, walk on water, and heal the sick? Was he really born of virgin?....and.....did he pre-exist "before" he was born as John's Gospel asserts? I have my own opinion but "I" am no longer particularly interested in either asserting my own particular perspective nor do I believe it is probable that certainity can "ever" be achieved on such matters....which is why...."I" am willing to "live" and "accept" a both/and approach in the realm of metaphysics and theological interpretations, until or unless, new overwhelming evidence becomes self evident to me and everyone else in the future or a new fool proof Enlightment methology is introduced.....but....don't hold your breath.....things may become "somewhat" clearer in the future but history and the limits of the planet and the human race suggest to me that we will never achieve certainity or perfection. It's just the nature of the beast....anyway......back to my point.....Postmodernism, as I understand it, has effected the way we see and interpret the world and is "qualitatively" different, imo, from anything we have seen up to this point. In the past, Christians fought against each other, heretics, and the infidels, over this or that in an attempt to assert and impose their own interpretation of the Bible and reality and for what end? Not much to show for it from where I stand which is why I think alot of folks are more open to the idea of accepting a both/and approach when it comes to matters of metaphyics, doctrinal interpretation, and our acceptance/tolerance of the various/numerous Christian traditions which are a part of our history.......I hope this makes sense to anyone who might stumble across my attempt to communicate what I have been processing for quite a while now....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you rightly described the impact of postmodernism on Christian theology. One of the helpful bits I like to add when I discuss it is that subjectivity is not the same a relativity. There's a tendency to assume that "subjectivity" is bad and leads to immorality and a lack of principled living.

The truth is that subjectivity just takes into account varieties of experience, or another way to put it is, subjectivity gives each one the opportunity for personal testimony (meaning that we start from an admission that there is not a universal description of how the faith is understood, lived and described).

Most Christians misunderstand the root of postmodernist thinking. The root is an attempt to examine power dynamics set up through language (especially) and political structures.

I like what you say about truth never being fully imparted with certainty and clarity. That seems pivotal to me too - PM introduces a humility into theological discourse that is critical, I think.

Good thoughts.

Bilbo said...

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your adding your comments on subjectivity...and...I agree that many interpret subjectivity as bad or associate with relativity. Human individual and community experience as you suggest/imply should be considered and taken seriously but unfortunately it is too often dismissed by the very people whose primary foundation is based on the religious experiences communicated through their collection of stories, history, and sayings. I'ts strange how it got to this point....but...as your comments imply the lack of universal application and monopoly of truth is probably why subjectivity gets such a bad rap with alot of folks. To me, subjectivity and experience is a critical ally in day to day living and is only a potential threat if it is allowed to monopolize to the exclusion of all other perspectives.....

David Blakeslee said...

My opinion is that subjectivity, experience and moral relativism have all been the targets of pre-emptive strikes by those who have a vested interest in upholding a more declaritive and dogmatic position when it comes to authority. A lot of what I gleaned from what you wrote about the counterpoints of some of your friends seems more like a repetition of ideas they've heard in sermons or read in books (e.g. the "nothing new under the sun" comment - I can just hear a pastor or Sunday school teacher laying out that truism for their audience as a way of getting them to dismiss the potential value of all that postmodernist stuff.)

This is a frequent tactic in conservative circles, to discredit the opposition before one has even had a chance to interact with their ideas.

I think that a case can be made that we are living and thinking in a new context unlike any that has existed in the past. Even though the world has had small examples of cosmopolitan melting pots over the centuries, we are now able to access ideas, belief systems, whole cultures and dissidents of all sorts with much greater ease and frequency, and with lower risk to life and limb, in many parts of the world than ever before. I really think that does make a lot of difference, even if there are still many people who don't avail themselves of the opportunities (and let's face it, we're all creatures of habit who have our own favored watering holes...)

But this rapid exchange of information and the simple humility that results from having to encounter so many informed, sincere and rational people who believe dramatically different things does make it harder to maintain the isolated, parochial state of mind, ultimately, even if a lot of people continue to affiliate with communities that swear allegiance to one or another expression of ultimate, infallible truth. I think there are a lot more people who profess belief in an inerrant Bible or Quran than who actually believe literally all of what those books teach and reflect that belief in their behavior. It's like the statement pledging fidelity itself is more important than the actual content of the ideas.

Net result is that a lot of people continue to be defensive and dismissive about postmodern ideas and trends, even though as the old commercial said, "you're soaking in it!"

Unknown said...

Dave, you have such nuggets pouring out of you lately. I hope you'll consider writing for UPI or somewhere (or compile it all and put it on your blog too).

I really like what you said here:

But this rapid exchange of information and the simple humility that results from having to encounter so many informed, sincere and rational people who believe dramatically different things does make it harder to maintain the isolated, parochial state of mind, ultimately, even if a lot of people continue to affiliate with communities that swear allegiance to one or another expression of ultimate, infallible truth.

I think that "encounter" versus "knowledge" is what is changing the face of religion and theology. It's one thing to hold an idea in your head. It's quite another to encounter that idea in a human being and to discover that you like the person... despite the idea. :)

Both of you brought up so many good points my head is pinging!

As usual, I love our little chats.

Julie

Bilbo said...

Hi Dave and Julie,

Not only are people "soaking" in postmodernism but they are absorbing it as well which is why I generally keep my postmodern ponderings on the descriptive level...and...I am also discovering that alot of folks seem to find the whole web metaphor very appealing especially when you break it down and explain how everything is integrated which implies that one need not be against,the Bible, tradition, experience,reason, science, or the institutional church. I am looking for ways to see how this all fits together. One of the reasons I now reject the foundational approach is that it pits one aspect of knowing against the other which contributes to the ongoing, never ending, culture wars , ideological battles, religion verses philosophy, etc., etc. I concede that things don't always integrate themselves in a concise manner but I do find it preferable on the grounds that it gives me more resources and is consistent the natural order of things in the world, imo.....Julie....I too appreciate and love our little chats. I appreciate you both chiming in.....

David Best said...

Bilbo,

I don't know if the phrase "emerging church" means anything to you, but there is a whole group of christians who "get" what you are talking about here. I think you might appreciate their conversations.