Sunday, March 26, 2006

Went for a drive today in the local hills and mountains and took a few pictures. Kern County where I live is not particular pretty most of the year but the spring time can be quite pleasant if one takes the time to slow down and smell the roses. I drove for about five hours stopping here and there taking pictures, talking to the locals, and eating lunch. It was quite relaxing and it is good to just get out of the city even if it is only the local "Ozark" hills of Kern County. I've been spoiled to have travelled many of the great vacation spots in the Western U.S. and Canada but despite my self indulgence in the spectacular I can still appreciate the local backwoods near my house, at least, in the winter and spring. Summer and fall is another matter because the landscape is burn't to a crisp and the weather is hotter than a horny toad sitting still in the shade out in the Mojave desert fifty miles from my house. I love the spectacular sights and sounds of the Canadian Rockies, Redwood National Park, Yosemite, and the rest of the wonderful National Parks in the west but I need to get refreshed other than my three week vacation each summer and that is what I did today......Buck Owens, a local country music legend died last night in his sleep. I am not a country music fan but Buck was big around these parts. A local legend. Besides his contributions to the country music scene Buck's influence in my neck of the woods was everywhere. He apparently owned numerous country music stations around the nation and he owned one of the most popular restaurants in town where he and other local country music bands performed live on stage. I never went to the Crystal Palace where Buck and his Buckaroos hung out but it was a local favorite five star restaurant where alot of the wealthy types went for dinner and a night of honky tonk music. I actually met Buck Owens back in the 60's at my mom's house. Apparently Buck Owens used to come over to my mom and step dad's house and jam with him and some friends. My step father was apparently quite the steel guitar player back then and he knew and played with Buck Owens back in the sixites. Not sure if he ever played in his band but was told that Buck and him at least jammed on a regular basis. I remember meeting him one Sunday afternoon while visiting my mom. I was probably about seven or eight and really didn't know who he was but I do remember the sound of picking and the twang of the steel guitar that day. Later Buck Owens became somewhat of a national celebrity with the Hee Haw show. Don't know how popular it was nationally but it was a favorite in the house I grew up in. Well, this is my tribute to Kern County, the place where I have lived most of my life and the place where I may die when it is all said and done.....

1 comment:

David Blakeslee said...

Trust me, Buck Owens was pretty famous around the USA. "I'm a pickin'... and I'm a-grinnin'!" Buck and his partner Roy Clark were quite the entertainers and I think his passing got the attention of quite a few people. I never associated him with Bakersfield, though of course he had to be from "somewhere"...! Nice pics, as always, I think I recognize that tree from the earlier black & white photo from the other day...?