Saturday, March 25, 2006

Just noticed I haven't checked in for about ten days now. Not that I have a quota to meet or anything. Sometimes I am really busy and other times I just don't have much to say. Alot has happened on the homefront in the past ten days but I can't really go into details because of privacy concerns. Let's just say my two sons are going through a difficult transition period of their life. It's equally difficult and challenging for the parents as well but I have been particularly frustrated since I don't live with my two sons and therefore my interaction and influence is limited. I think I handled a very difficult situation last week pretty well but am just concerned how things will go from here. Parenting is challenging because there are no ready made handbooks that contain any magic formulas. Alot of it involves flying by the seat of your pants and just dealing with stuff as it comes up. As a parent I try not to control or micro-manage my sons lives and succeed most of the time but certain situtations demand more than a rah rah speech to do better. I've tried to approach the whole parent thing from mentors perspective and thus take advantage of challenging situations with teaching in mind. Good teaching, imo, does not involve just lecturing but rather should include asking questions, listening, and helping others to understand their options and teach decision making skills. That's my goal and approach as a parent but it is difficult at times because many of the other authority figures in thier lives "seem" to be more interested in controlling their behavior through psychological conditioning than teaching them the skills they will need to develop as responsible independent people....Been watching a little March Madness the last couple of weeks. Don't watch much college basketball during the season but love March Madness. It's the greatest sporting event in the world, IMO. It's pure and more unpreditable than many of the other high profile sporting contests and the only one that consistently lives up to it's hype. I don't have a favorite team that is still playing in the tournament at this time but did get a buzz off watching the LSU/Duke, Boston College/Villanova, and UCLA/Gonzaga games. Felt bad for Morrison but was estatic when LSU whopped up on Duke. At this stage I am rooting largely for the underdogs look forward to watching as much of the final sixteen games as time allows. Thank God for Tivo/DVR recorders!.....On the personal/self help/keeping my lent promise front I have been reading, writing, and contemplating about this or that. Just trying to learn and get myself out of the daily survival mode. Life shoudn't just be about learning how to survive and hang on. Living in the moment with self awareness and making choices that improve life for myself and others is an important goal but is a real challenge on a day to day basis. Sometimes I just get so flooded with anxiety, stress, or emotions I don't even know how to identify. "Intellectually" at this stage I understand that I need to learn how to attend, befriend, and surrender to the "dark" and difficult emotions but not sure what that exactly entails or how to break some of the bad habits associated with attempting to supress/repress negative emotions that are so easy triggered. It's the accumulation of the day to day stuff that I find most challenging. The big stuff often seems easier for me to handle. Perhaps it is because I am more focused because I know the stakes are high. I'ts all a process. Two steps forward, a step back, and so on. At the present I am trying to not judge or condemn myself when I don't live up to my own sense of self awareness and see mself entering into an experimental phase where I think I need to change how I do or respond to this or that. It's kind of exciting but frustrating as well especially when I see mself slipping back into patterns that only bring temporarily relief to the dark emotions that haunt our souls......Recently took a trip to the snow and tried my hand at black and white photos. Included a couple of pictures with this post. Intend to take some more tomorrow as I am planning a three or four hour road trip out through the foothills before all the grass dies which usually happens before April is over. It has been unusually cold for this time of the year but I am not complaining because I know the hot weather is on the way...

2 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

Hi Bilbo, just like you thought you were due for a blog entry, I feel due for a comment on your blog. So how difficult is that transition thing for your sons? I know they are a bit younger than my twin boys. I can imagine any number of different issues you all might be dealing with in your own ways... I can't imagine the frustrations of having to parent "out of the house" even though I have two young adult kids living away from home (at college) these days. And when we are making conscious efforts to parent in ways different than the examples put before us when we were on the receiving end, that complicates things too. And I know not having a dad around in your life means no real precedent as a father yourself. My dad was also gone for much of my childhood, and even when I moved in with him in my later teens, he was a bachelor out partying and doing his free-wheelin' thing in the "Boogie Nights" 70's... We were more like roommates, with him calling the shots, than a "typical" father and son... I figure you have a "conflicting" parenting style than the boys' mother too...

I don't pay any attention to college hoops either, but I did pick a bracket in our work contest and I'm proud to say that I have Florida and UCLA matched in the final game! I might even have LSU in the Final Four, I'll have to recheck my picks tomorrow (my copy is at work.) I thought George Mason would lose in the first round to Michigan State. I would be amazed to hear that anyone picked them to take that region! But to pick even half of this Final Four shows some true intuitive brilliance, don't you think?!? :o)

My Lent experiment continues on without too much difficulty actually. The only strong temptation I've had to buy books was a new collection from Tom Tomorrow called "Hell in a Handbasket." Are you familiar with his cartoons? The strip is "This Modern World" - sharp political satire. I will pick this one up after Easter, I think! I don't have much time to commit to more substantive works, plus I have plenty of "serious reading" material sitting around the house on a wide variety of subjects that might interest me.

I finally saw Brokeback Mountain (on my computer, through a fileshare download I found ripped from an awards screener DVD.) The "gay" theme didn't even seem all that important to me, except as a plot device. I really see the message of the movie as more to do with people who get stuck in any number of "no-win" situations in life and wind up struggling because they simply don't know how to do the right thing and still be authentic to themselves. I can relate to that, even though I've never had the kind of feelings or yearnings for another man. I've had female friends that I've felt an attraction to but never allowed myself the "indulgence" of an affair and I found that over time the feelings passed and I was glad to have kept myself in check. But I can still empathize with the struggles of Ennis and Jack, but also the others in the story who also had to deal with their own share of pain and heartache.

I also saw V for Vendetta on Friday. Cool movie! I will watch it again in the theater I think and get the DVD when it comes out. I had a great chat session on line with Curt (who lives on campus) about the film last night - it's really fun to have these deeper philosophical conversations with one's own offspring! Especially when you can see some of your own cognitive habits and patterns reflected in their own analysis of messages and meanings!

Which brings me full circle back to the parenting topic, a good place to wrap up this long comment!

Bilbo said...

Hi Dave,

You asked, "So how difficult is that transition thing for your sons? I know they are a bit younger than my twin boys. I can imagine any number of different issues you all might be dealing with in your own ways"...

Bilbo: Right now the big issues appear to be the need for more independence and acceptance by their peers. These are natural desires as you know but they can also cause alot of problems for teenagers and their parents and that is the challenge I am facing right now. IMO, its a matter of finding the right balance and lets just say we are all working on it right now.

Dave: And I know not having a dad around in your life means no real precedent as a father yourself.

Bilbo:Personally I don't see that as a huge drawback because I have heard so many horror stories about kids and their parents in my day. I may not have had a role model but at least I didn't have an awful experience like some folks do. I do have significant experience and background knowledge in human relations and I try to apply that in my situations as a parent. Hang in out and working with high schoolers for twenty years doesn't hurt either.

Dave: I figure you have a "conflicting" parenting style than the boys' mother too...

Bilbo: Yep...But the boys mother and I do talk on a regular basis regarding our two sons. I try to support her as much as I can and she does listen and take to heart what I have to say and all things considered that ain't too bad. We may not always be on the same page but we are working on it.

Dave:My Lent experiment continues on without too much difficulty actually.

Bilbo: I am not surprised. You never did seem like the obessive compulsive personality type to me. I hope I don't jinx you. If you do fall I will be there if you need someone to confess to. I have a boat load of empathy for anyone who isn't able to live up to thier promises and goals. Let's just say I am a fellow traveller of the failed New Years resolution misfit club.

I still haven't got around to see V for Vendetta. Was supposed to see it last week-end with my two sons but we had a family mini crisis to deal with with took up the whole day. Share your sentiments about Brokeback Mountain. I too felt like the point of the story wasn't about "gay sex" but as you put it, people getting stuck in no win situations and that's the part of the story that resonated with me because I have found myself there on many occasions....got to run and get ready for work tomorrow....