Wednesday, January 04, 2006

It's about eight hours from the kick-off of one of the most hyped games in college football history. I know it is only a game but confess I am starting to feel a bit anxious. Having a whole bunch of friends over to watch the game on my big screen t.v. Am excited that one of my sons is joining us. My sons have never shown any interest in watching sports on t.v., which is o.k., by me, but am looking forward to some father son bonding time even if it is football...This is a big game for me on a personal level because I have alot of emotional investment in USC football. Have seen every game this year and grew up watching USC football since the O.J. era which goes back to the 1960's. Am anxious because in single elimination games I know that anything can happen and just hope the USC players don't fall into the trap of thinking they are better than Texas. Texas is very good football team and deserves alot of respect and if the USC players don't play Texas with the respect they deserve they will lose. Don't think that will happen because I do believe Pete Carroll is one of the best coaches at preparing his teams...but you never know...You are dealing with 18-22 olds and they tend to have a mind of their own....Do feel confident if USC executes and matches Texas' intensity than things will be fine. All the hype about USC's offense is justified in my opinion. Seven future first round picks on offense including two Heisman trophy winners. I know Texas has a very good defense but honestly don't believe they have ever faced anything like USC's offense. I believe Oklahoma actually had a better defense last year than Texas and look what happened to them. It's not just the athletes of USC, it's the execution of their offense. They run a complicated, diversified, pro style passing and running attack that is unparalled in the college ranks and it's going to be a real challenge for Texas, imho. Texas only chance is turnovers and ball control. If they can march up and down the field and get a few turnovers than they can win. USC's defense is not as strong as their offense...dah...but they may surprise a few folks tonight because their team speed is excellent and Pete Carroll is the defensive coordinator who will have a few surprises for Vince Young I predict....Prediction time.....I admit anything can happen in these single game elimination sporting events and won't be surprised if Texas wins...but....if USC executes and plays humble than I predict a big win for the men of Troy....USC 45 Texas 23......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - you're predicting numbers even! I am rooting for SC too and predict a big win. I don't think it will be as close as its being billed.

But I actually hope it is!

I love close games - thought the ND v. SC game was just the type you want in a Rose Bowl. So if it's close, then I'll be happy.

Still, I think they're going to dominate. :)

Unknown said...

Well, wrong about *that* one!

Wow!! What a game filled with errors, big plays, ref mistakes, and more. Vince Young, though, was truly the star. What a player! I enjoyed watching him even if it was hard to watch Matt Leinart's final game end that way.

Still, great season, great game and a host of great players.

Reggie Bush was almost totally shut down whereas Young never was. That might really have been the difference.