Saturday, October 15, 2005

Hotter than........

It was hotter than the ........dickens......yesterday.....97 to be exact....fall is one of my favorite times of the year because it marks the end of the relentless heat that begans in May and usually doesn't end until late September or sometime in October. It wouldn't be so bad around here if it were hot a day here or there. Anybody can handle a hundred degree day once in awhile but it's the month after month after month of 90-100 degree days and 70 degree nights that gets to me. The heat drains me....makes me lethargic.....and prevents me from going outside and getting the exercise I need and enjoy. I've been relegated to the gym for the most part since May and can't wait to get outside again and tear it up on the bike path or the local hiking trails......Relief in sight....As I sit here and type this morning the windchimes outside my front door are making sweet music. It is windy outside and that means a change is in the air. This is not simply wishful or delusional thinking on my part. According to all the weather models a "cold front" is headed my way and should arrive by early afternoon. All the local forecasters predict it will only get to about 72-74 degrees today which translates into a 20 drop in temperature from yesterday which is extremely rare for this part of the country. Good bye summer...Hellooooooooo.......fall......We've been eagerly waiting your arrival. Pumpkins, the changing of the color of the leaves, Halloween decorations, cool mornings, the sound of local high school football games on Friday nights, the disappearance of the bug population, and a rain shower from time to time.....These are the sights and sounds we have been anticipating for some time now. Put away the sprinklers, lawnmowers, short pants, lemonade, sun tan lotion, beach towels, and sun glasses. It's time to go into hibernation.....Today marks the beginning of fall and the end of summer. I feel much better just thinking about it. Later today I'll hop on my bike and allow the cool breeze to massage my face and lift my spirit. Today is the beginning of a new day and a new season. I love fall. I love the holiday season which is just around the corner....and....I love saying goodbye to summer.....

No comments: