Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Greatest Game Ever?

Today I witnessed one of the greatest games in college football history and like the players on both sides I am emotionally drained and at a loss for words. The game ended hours ago but I can still hear the sound of the frenzied Notre Dame faithful ringing in my ears and when I close my eyes I can see Reggie Bush racing past the Notre Dame defenders lunging helplessly as the Heisman front runner streaks past them on his way to end zone. Apparenlty not even Touchdown Jesus was a match for Reggie Bush the human lightening bolt who struck not once, or twice, but three different times... Notre Dame played a hell of game and they have nothing to be ashamed of but I am equally proud of the Men of Troy who exhibited a level of poise, determination, and courage seldom seen in the annals of sports history. This was a tough loss for the Irish and their fans and when Matt Leinart rolled off the would be tacklers and backed his way into the end zone with three seconds left I think I heard the collected groans of Rockne, Montana, Ara, and Rudy. In the end there were really no winners or losers although I confess that is easy to say since my team won but this is really how I feel. When the game ended I sprung out of my seat but I didn't really feel any deep sense of satisfaction or joy but rather I felt like someone who just walked away from a serious car accident unscathed.....USC was fortunate but not lucky. In the end they chose to put it all on the line rather than play it safe which is one of the reasons they have now won 39 of their last forty games. Norte Dame played a great game and was an inspiration to watch but at the end of the day they fell a bit short, not because the luck of the Irish deserted them, or Touchdown Jesus fell asleep at the wheel, but, because USC has a stallion named Reggie and a quarterback named Matt Lionheart......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Even this UCLA alum, daughter of a Notre Dame alum, found herself cheering for USC last weekend. What a game!!!

I am so impressed with the USC team. But ND sure put up a good fight. Great year for football.

Reggie Bush is a god.

Julie