I started buying movie soundtracks prior to the release of the Lord of the Rings. I was so excited about seeing the movie I just had to get something to keep me from going over the edge before the opening night. This is also when I started buying LOTR's action figures, but that's another story for another time. Here is a list of some of my favorite movie soundtracks. I think soundtracks are generally under appreciated and underrated.
1. The Lord of the Rings, all three soundtracks... Like the movie, the music is majestic and epic. I put it in the league with listening to one of Bach's Masses.
2. Friends, Elton John...Many years ago Elton John performed the music for a movie called Friends. I don't know anything about the movie. I think it was a French production but the music is very romantic and some of his best. If you like early Elton John, you'll like this little gem. I doubt if the soundtrack is still available but many of the songs can be found on his Rare Masters album.
3. Dances With Wolves: This soundtrack is as big, and bold as the broad sweeping landscape and cinematography of the film.
4. Into the Wild: Eddie Vedder the front man for Pearl Jam sings the songs for this soundtrack. A match made in heaven. His haunting voice is perfect for the storyline.
5. Braveheart: I am a sucker for anything Irish or Celtic. This soundtrack helps to
reinforce my opinion that pound for pound the Irish are the best.
6. The Last Samurai and The House of Flying Daggers: When I want or need to be in a
moment I turn on either one of these two soundtracks.
7. In the Name of the Father: Oldy but goody. The movie stars Daniel Day Lewis. An eclectic collection of songs but the soundtrack is worth it for the songs by Bono and Sinead Oconner. Powerful stuff. Maybe one of Bono's best.
8. Once Soundtrack: Nice collection of catchy tunes. Loved the movie. One of my favorites form last year. Alot of passion went into the movie and some of the songs.
9. Titanic: Great date music. Very romantic, just like the movie.
10. The Chronicles of Narnia soundtrack: I actually like and think the soundtrack is better than the movie. Give it a listen sometime.