Sunday, December 04, 2005

It doesn't get any better than this if you are a USC football fan. USC routs UCLA, goes undefeated, and is now heading to the National Championship game which will be played in USC's own back yard the Rose Bowl. Iv'e been following USC football for a long time now and I go way back to the 60's when O.J. was weaving and juking his way past helpless defenders to college football legendary fame and a Heisman Trophy...While yesterday's game lacked the emotional satisfaction and intensity of the Notre Dame game earlier in the year it was a great joy to watch the game nontheless. My satisfaction came not from watching SC beat up on their crosstown arch rival cousin UCLA, (I actually root for UCLA when they aren't playing USC,) but from watching one of the greatest college football teams of all time. I've said this before but it bears repeating, Reggie Bush is the greatest college football player I have ever seen. It's like watching Michael Jordan in a football uniform. He is such a joy to watch because each time he touches the ball you can't help but anticipate that he is going to rip off one of those classic Reggie Bush eletrifying touchdown runs that have become a regular feature of ESPN Sportscenter...and.... the rest of the USC offense ain't too bad either... Not only is Reggie Bush the greatest player I have seen in my years of watching college football but the USC offense is the greatest offense I have ever seen. Every player on the USC offense is a potential NFL recruit. The wide recievers, the tight end, the "other" running back Lindale White, last years Heisman Trophy winner quarterback, and, last but not least, the best offensive line in the country. They haven't been stopped nor slowed down for over three years now and I don't anticipate it is going to happen in the championship game either.....speaking of the championship game with Texas....Haven't seen Texas play much this year but can't imagine them beating USC, especially when one considers Pete Carroll has a month to prepare and the beleaguered, often criticized defense, has a month to get healthy. I'm not predicting a rout like last years debacle but I honestly suspect Texas won't know what hit em when USC's offense unleases it's numerous weapons of mass destruction. Texas appears to have a fine and maybe even a great team but they have never encountered the kind of pro style offense of USC nor the assembly of pro prospects at every position, including Superman at tailback and last years Heisman Trophy winner who actually has better statistics this year. The conference Texas plays in just doesn't have any teams like USC....On defense....I think USC matches up well with Texas. They are going to blitz often and Vince Young is not going to have time to throw up those long down the field lollypops to wide open recievers that one often sees on a regular basis in the Big Twelve conference because the Pac Ten conference knows how to play pass defense. While Young appears to be a legitimate Heisman candidate I anticipate he is going to struggle in this big game. Carroll will mix up his blitze packages and Young isn't going to get the time to run around like he does against most teams... I predict it will be a competive game until the second half before USC pulls away with their third national championship. Texas will come prepared and their balance allow them to be competitive but at the end of the day the only team that can beat USC is USC....or.....maybe the New England Patriots.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, I have to agree with your entire analysis... and even though my dad is a Noter Dame alum and I grew up sining the Fighting Irish fight song, and went to many SC v. ND games in Southern Cal rooting for ND with a tiny percentage of fans, THIS season, I rooted for SC to beat ND.

This season, I have become an SC fan. What an amazing team! Pete Carroll has one long speaking circuit lines up ahead of him, if Lou Holtz's last ten years on the circuit is any indicator.

I love Reggie Bush too and if he doesn't win the Heismann, something is wrong with NCAA football. (But I think he will)

You're right - he's the Micahel Jordan of football. He makes it look so easy. And he's faster than a cheetah out there.

What a great season for the Trojans. I will root for them against TX.

Julie (Bruin with a soft heart for SC this year)

Bilbo said...

Hi Julie,

For a UCLA grad like you to root for USC is a huge transformation but you seem to be in a transformation stage in life on numerous fronts these days so I am not really that suprised. I didn't go to USC or have any other USC connections other than just watching them on T.V. growing up during the glory years of Mckay, Robinson, national championships and Heisman trophy winners. Have only been to one live game myself and that was years ago when they weren't very good....Glad to see that you have a "soft heart" for SC this year. I too have a soft heart for UCLA. I don't root against them unless they are playing USC or Oregon State. I went to Oregon State for while which is why I mention them....Hopefully UCLA can help salvage the end of the season by winining their bowl game and if USC wins big than maybe the Pac Ten conferennce will start getting the respect they deserve....