Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A few highlights

Whenever you go on an extended trip to so many beautiful places it is often difficult to pick a favorite spot or experience but I am going to give it a go anyway. Ever been to a place that was so magical/enchanting you didn't want to leave? Ever have an experience so intense you wish you had the power to suspend time and space? On this trip standing at the top of the Astoria Column over looking the Columbia River as she spilled her 18 million gallons a second into the Pacific Ocean was probably the highlight of the trip for me. Astoria Column is a one hundred and twenty five foot tall column decorated and dedicated to the history of Astoria and includes some 14 scenes, many, which include references to the Lewis and Clark expedition. The Astoria Column sits upon a hill located approxiately 600 feet above the town of Astoria. On the day we visited there was no fog or clouds to be seen anywhere and not only could I see the mighty Columbia but I could see several snow capped mountains of Washington in the distance, the Pacific Ocean and the town of Astoria below. By the way, Astoria is the oldest permanent settlement west of the Mississippi. The flowers were in full bloom and all the views were breathtaking, spellbinding, and full of life. I didn't want to leave but since I currently lack the ability to suspend time and space I finally made my way back down the hill to town and the next adventure.

Another highlight....One morning I took a quick jaunt over to the beach in the morning which was located near our campsite and I saw what must of been a hundred or so seagulls hangin out near where the ocean waves met the beach. As one young girl approched the seagulls they all in unison hovered above for ten seconds or so and than landed again a couple of feet away. It was a magnificent and rare site indeed, something I have never seen before. I quickly ran back to camp to get my camera and for the next 15 to 20 minutes proceeded to take one picture after another. It felt like something right out of National Geographic... Two days later we witnessed hundreds of Pelicans swarming and diving into the bay near our campground. I suspect some large quanties of small fish were in the area which must of precipated to seagull and pelican behavior during our stay.

Final highlight..... Each year the travel channel usually does a program on the top ten beaches in the world and Cannon Beach in Oregon often makes their top ten list and after spending the day in Cannon Beach I can see why. Cannon beach streches for miles and is littered with rocks and one really, really, big rock which is said to be the third largest in the world of it's kind. Cannon beach is also a beautiful tourist town which apparently draws tourist from all over the U.S. We spent the day walking around the town before finally heading down to the beach where I walked in the water for awhile. Again, the weather was perfect. Clear skies, and a gentle breeze. A bit on the crowded side but beauty has a way of always drawing attention to herself. ....Anyway....that's just some of the highlights. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that just spending time with my two sons and girlfriend was probably the top highlight of all. It's great to have family, friends, and people who love you and you love them........

6 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

Thanks for catching us up, Bilbo. I have been eagerly awaiting your traverlers report and photos, and I am not at all disappointed! The pictures are beautiful, magnificent! If I didn't know better I would suspect you just uploaded a bunch of postcards. :o)

Welcome back to civilization and it's discontents...!

Bilbo said...

Dave writes: "Welcome back to civilization and it's discontents...!"

Bilbo: One of the problems with rubbing shoulders with nature as long as I do on a regular basis is that it brings to the forfront just how much we humans can screw things up....big time....Nature and it's inhabitants seem content as far as I can tell and while the creatures, critters, and their kin are programmed to eat each other for survival they don't seem to have all the other hang up's we humans exhibit. Makes one wonder who is really civilized...us or them...Glad to be back and ready to rock and roll but I would be lying if I said I am particularly looking forward to interacting with certain nasty aspects of day to day human existence. Really enjoy the pace of summer vacation and really don't look forward to getting up everyday at the crack of dawn but don't have any other choice at this time. Do hope to implement some aspects of vacation time into the daily grind. Just so difficult and too easy to fall off the wagon....but got to keep trying...I guess....Can't give into the "dark side" of life...May the force be with us all.....

Unknown said...

I am so glad you're back!

I keep checking in for photos and journal entries. What a great job you did of photo-journaling your trip. The Astoria Column is wild!

I miss the west coast so much it hurts! You'v captured its essence.

Glad you had such a great time. Hope you can get away to your "home" more often.

Julie

Unknown said...

Hope you don't mind, but I just linked to your blog from my blog for the world to see your smashing photography. Loved every one of the pics you posted.

Julie

Bilbo said...

Hi Julie,

Good to hear your voice again. No I don't mind your'e linking my blog to your blog. Didn't mean to stir up such raw emotions for you. Sounds like maybe you and the "fam" might need to take a trip out west next summer. If you do make a trip out this way I would be willing to help. I have traveled the west coast extensively over the past 15 years and know just about every nook and cranny between California and Washington including best time to travel and all. I love traveling, always have. Something about nature which speaks to my soul about the way things "ought" to be. Nature is not always benevolent but in my book certainly preferable to modern civilization in many ways. Anyway...You might find it interesting that my long time friend Richard who traveled with me to Mammoth for a week spent about an hour the last night just sitting in the car listening to U-2. It was a magical moment as we sat in the car with the windows rolled up singing along with U-2 favorites like, Where the Streets Have No Name, With or Without You, It's a Beautiful Day and most of the songs off one of my favorite albums, The Unforgettable Fire. At one point I thought about how proud you would be to see and hear two nearly 50 year old men acting like teenagers. It was a hoot....

Unknown said...

What a wonderful memory. I am with you. I think a trip to the west coast is overdue. And I will tap your resevoir of knowledge should we decide to follow that interest.

U2 and the west coast and a best friend? Sounds like a foretaste of heaven. :)

Julie