Friday, May 05, 2006

It's been loooonnnnnng week.....Computer crashed.....washing machine crashed.....phone line crashed.....tires on my car crashed....alingment crashed.....and....air conditioner required three hours of my precious time that I really don't have. Am burn't, through and through...to a crisp....on both sides.....but relief is in sight...... am taking off to the coast for three days, by myself to see an old buddy of mine who recently bought a house near the coast. No kids, no girlfriend, no students and no responsibilities for three glorious days....I really need it....and....only three more weeks of school and then I am finished for nine weeks. Did manage to squeeze some time to make it over to the new Riverwalk Park on the west side of town. Quite impressive and predict it is going to be a big hit with the locals. The park took ten years to plan and build and is located along the river that "sometimes" flows through town. Much of the year it is dry and hideous looking but the last couple of years water has actually been sighted running for most of the year....The new state of the art park has a couple of small lakes, a running stream, fountains and an impressive outdoor amphitheatre where bands such as the Moody Blues are "suppose" to play in the years to come. Went and saw the opening act the other night. It was a freeby concert featuring the Fab Four which is a tribute band to the Beatles. They were very, very impressive. About half of their act sounded "just like" the Beatles. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. They were awesome. Particulary got off on the second act when they came out dressed in Sgt. Pepper outfits and played Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart club band, With a little Help from my friends, and a Day in the Life. Really look forward to going back out to the park and doing a few barbecues and bike riding. Bakersfield doesn't have much going on in the city since I have lived here but I give the city planners an A plus for this one.......Well thats it for now. Need to get to bed and get my beauty rest because I have to get up early and head the beach....Hooooray.....Hooooray.......

5 comments:

David Blakeslee said...

Enjoy the desperately needed R&R! The list of breakdowns looks pretty daunting, physically, emotionally, financially! The park looks nice. We have a few riverside parks up this way. Never any worries about whether there will be water or not! A few years ago I saw a similar Beatles tribute band perform right next to the Grand River, in front of the downtown skyline. They did the same Sgt. Pepper routine for the second half of the show, and they also sounded "just like" the Beatles. It was very cool hearing them perform Hey Jude and so many other great songs from the 67 - 70 era (the whole gig was a blast, but one always feels that their earlier stuff is easier to perform live...)

Anyway, I look forward to a new batch of pics from you soon, from the coastline this time!

Unknown said...

What a nice park! Definitely not what I imagine in Bakersfield. :) Glad it is all green and watery.

You do need a break - my! I hope you have some real down timeto walk and enjoy nature the way you often do on your weeks away.

I heard an NPR review of a book by a guy who spent time with his high school friends for a summer when one of them was dying of cancer. He talked about how they recaptured the summer of '64 being together again before their friend died.

Your post made me think of how important long term friends are and the need to reconnect with them.

I'm off to Palm Springs in just under two weeks to meet my high school girlfriends for a weekend. Hope it is restful for me too.

Have a great time, and as Dave said, bring back some photos of the ocean for us.

Julie

Bilbo said...

Sorry to disappoint but there won't be any pictures from the ocean. Been there and done that with the central coast of California.

Julie, So you are coming to Palm Springs. It will probably be in the mid to high 90's so dress accordingly. What's the latest on your husband's job situation. I don't remember reading anything on your blog after your initial comments three or four weeks ago. Just curious....

Dave, I wonder if it was the same band?....Your'e right about the early stuff being easier to perform. The second half of the concert was much more difficult because of the complexity of the later Beatle stuff but felt they did a good job nonetheless. Bought the new Pearl Jam C.D. today but haven't been able to figure out how to download to my Dell Jukebox player. I'll wait until my two sons come over later to figure it out. They are a wiz at downloading stuff.....

David Blakeslee said...

I don't think that it was the same band. The group I saw, I think their name was "Shout" or something like that. I could be mistaken. I know there's a bunch of Beatles tribute bands out there, kind of like Elvis impersonators, and perhaps there are even companies that cater to those groups, supplying tailored Sgt. Pepper outfits or offering voice lessons to get the right Liverpudlian accent for American wannabeatles...

Unknown said...

Sorry for missing this reply.

Jon's job is ending in July officially but we get half pay until October. We are scrambling to launch some new products for my business and for him to get more clients for his (he does email publishing). Thanks for asking. It isn't stressful yet, but I can't help but imagine the future stress. :) So I'm trying to work hard now to get things in place to ease the transition.

Palm Springs tomorrow! Can't wait.

Julie