Friday, July 14, 2006

Tomorrow morning my son Wesley and I are taking off for a two week jaunt to Northern California....and....apparently in just the nick of time since it is going to be between 104-108 over the next four days. It should be in the mid sixties in all the places we camp over the next two weeks. All of our trip will be spent on the Northern California coast and Redwood National Park. Wesley and I love the North Coast of California. This will be about our ninth or tenth trip to this area and I never get tired of spending some quality time in a part of the state that doesn't seem like California. North of San Francisco is so different than the rest of the state. Alot of small towns, rolling hills, magnificient forests, and people who just live by a different drum beat. I'ts like a time warp traveling through such towns as Garberville, Mendocino, Fort Bragg, Willits, Cresent City, Ukiah. Bigfoot and Hobbit country I like to call it.....I do have some mixed emotions on this trip. It will only Wesley and I. I look forward to some serious father and son bonding time but I also am going to miss my other son Paul and my girlfriend Lynn. Last summer we all travelled together to Oregon and had such a great time but this year our schedules and individual interests just didn't work out. It's kind of sad. This will be the first summer in 16 years I won't be spending my vacation with my son Paul. Paul, actually didn't want to go this year because he didn't want to be gone so long from his friends. As a parent it's hard when our children begin to want to spend more time with their peers/friends but I need to accept and respect this part of the maturation cycle of growing up.....But....I do look forward to spending time with Wesley. Wesley loves the outdoors and we are goind to have a great time hangin out, riding bikes, hiking, and catching some of the upcoming flicks coming out at the theatre in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to Lady in the Water, Monster House, and Miami Vice and hope to see all three films while I am on vacation....Also, do hope to catch up on my sleep and reading while on vacation. It is very difficult for me to get good sleep in Bakersfield because it is so hot in the summer but that will change Sunday when we enter country where the tempertatures will be 40 plus degrees cooler...and...do intend to get some serious reading done. I'm taking about five books with me and I should get plenty of quality reading done since I won't have any distractions. I've been reading some books on archetypes lately....Jungian stuff....find it fascinating and stimulating and hope to post some thoughts when I get back......anyway....Hope the world doesn't blow itself up while I am gone. Am really concerned by the recent events in the Middle East and just hope and pray that all sides will seek out peaceful solutions to their problems and things don't escalate. Am not particularly optimistic because all sides "seem" entrenched in their own perspective and belief that they are on the ritht side which generally doesn't bode well for transformative resolutions......I'll post a few pics when I get back and hope the rest of you don't get burn't out or two depressed by the happenings in the world while I am gone.....

No comments: