Thursday, January 29, 2009

Since I tackled my favorite soundtracks a couple of days ago I thought I would next move on to my some of my all-time favorite songs. Here is a list of twenty of my favorite songs with a few brief comments. The order is random and doesn't correlate with the songs.

1. Strange Waters by Bruce Cockburn. This modern day psalm captures my journey and state of my soul better than any song.

2. Your Song by Elton John. I fell in love with this song in 1970 and I have loved it ever since.

3. Into the West by Annie Lennox from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. I want this song to be played at my funeral. It touches my soul every time I hear it.

4. Jeremy by Pearl Jam. I can relate to Jeremy. I feel your pain and someday hope to meet you in the next life.

5. Almost any song by the Cambridge Singers. This is what the angels will be singing when I walk through the pearly gates.

6. Beyond These Shores by Iona. My latest favorite song. This song lifts my soul when I am lonely and feeling down.

7. Nights in White Satin by the Moody Blues. Classic rock. I can still remember listening to this song late at night on the local FM stations as a kid.

8. Child of the Wind by Bruce Cockburn. I swear this song is about me. If I ever meet Cockburn I am going to ask him he wrote this song with me in mind.

9. Good Morning Sunshine by Oliver. I wish I could wake up to this song every morning. It's better than coffee.

10. Seascapes by Michael Jones. I have been listening to this song/album for over 20 years and I never get tired of listening to it.

11.U-2. I can't just pick one. How about the following, Bad, 40, City of Blinding Lights, New Years Day, With or Without You, Unforgettable Fire, and Until the End of the World. Ask me another day and I'll probably give you a five or six different songs.

12. The Walrus by the Beatles. One of the most unique and weird song I have ever heard. It's right up there with "Puffy Little Clouds" by The Orb.

13. Faceless Man by Creed. When the angst meter is running high I turn to this song by Creed. Scott Stapp must have broken a blood vessel when recording this song in the studio.

14. Winter and I Can't see New York by Tori Amos. The most beautiful haunting songs by this wonderful artist.

15. From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea. Before there was Nirvana and grunge there was The Cure.

16. Riders on the Storm by the Doors. Oldie but goodie.

17. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. The best gym work out song in history.

18. I'm Your Captain by Grand Funk Railroad. Thanks Dave for bringing this song back into my life and thanks USC for beating Michigan. I won this song in a bet.

19. Caoineadh Cu Chulainn (Lament) Riverdance This song captures the soul and spirit of the Irish.

20. Almost any song by John Michael Talbot. His songs take me back to my spiritual roots.

No comments: